PT59.S3.Q19

emmorensemmorens Core Member
edited November 2020 in Logical Reasoning 1470 karma

Okay so in this one I chose AC A at first glance, but after spending 20 minutes trying to understand why A is wrong I think I've finally got it.

A) Some babies utter individual words that they do not understand

I understand that we don't actually know if the conditional is true because it's nested, and since with most answer choices there are often multiple reasons why a wrong one is wrong. I tried to start looking for any reason and came up with the following: dictionary definition (in the conclusion) vs. do not understand (in AC A)

In my mind I was inferring that 'these babies do not understand words' FROM the statement that 'clearly there are people who do not know the dictionary definition of some words they utter'.

I understand why AC E is right but need clarification on if this shift is a valid reason for crossing off AC A. Maybe there are babies who do understand without knowing the actual dictionary definition.

One last question: are questions with the stem 'which follows logically' an MBT question? I sort of saw this as a soft assumption question but wasn't able to categorize it in my mind. If someone could clarify what this type of question is that would be very helpful. Thank you!

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-59-section-3-question-19/

Comments

• SSBM1000SSBM1000 Member
    edited November 2020 614 karma

Hello,

Yes, this is a MBT question, as that question stem is a MBT question stem since it's asking what follows logically from the stimulus, meaning that you can take the information in the stimulus and be able to accurately conclude that the correct answer choice is true.

Also, A is wrong because, like you pointed out, we don't know if the conditional at the beginning of the stimulus is true. Since it's possible that people don't need to know the dictionary definitions of words to understand them, then it doesn't have to be true that babies utter individual words they don't understand, since we essentially have no basis to conclude one way or the other.