Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any 140ers scared for the January LSAT?

aaaa1111aaaa1111 Member
edited November 2020 in January 2021 LSAT 16 karma

Currently scoring a 146, and I'm terrified I won't hit above a 150 for the January LSAT. Anyone else in my boat? I've never been great at standardized timed tests.

Comments

• 62 karma

I scored 141...it sucks...I work full time and it’s so hard to motivate to keep studying. I don’t know if I should even bother trying to resit in jan or if I should give myself longer and apply next cycle. I just don’t know if I can improve enough for jan. I just want to get in the 150s. I want to get into Georgia state.

• aaaa1111aaaa1111 Member
    edited November 2020 16 karma

Hey @daisyharding08 I feel your pain! I've never been able to score above a 146. Today I had a 144 and it discouraged me.

That's rough, I also work and am also doing a master's, and take care of many family responsibilities, so by the time I get to studying, I'm exhausted! I hope you get into the 150's you never know, give it a shot this cycle, usually most schools will accept the February/April exam as the last administration for acceptance, and worst case scenario, you apply next year! You can improve points in a matter of a few weeks even. Don't feel discouraged!

• CardsnHogzCardsnHogz Alum Member
    168 karma

I've seen some advice from, I think it was the lsat demon guy. His kinda blanket statement advice was something like, if you are scoring consistently in the 155 to just below or at 160, then you are going too fast and answering too many questions.

Basically he's saying you are wasting time on questions you're gonna get wrong anyway, so that's like way worse than just missing a question. B/c that missed time could go to other questions you are missing, but are still capable of working correctly with just a little more time.

Just throwing that out there!

• CardsnHogzCardsnHogz Alum Member
    168 karma

Sorry. I meant if you are NOT scoring between 155-160. bit of a difference there lol

• aaaa1111aaaa1111 Member
    16 karma

@CardsnHogz Hi! That defintitely makes sense, I'll work on completing less but have more accuracy with them.

• MistaTee001MistaTee001 Member
    edited November 2020 105 karma

Hello all, I'm not sure what your exact section scores are, but I can tell you as someone who was scoring between 140-149 on timed practice Preptests (PTs), that you can definitely improve in a relatively quick manner. For me, my weakest section was Logic Games; which as you may have heard, its also the quickest one to generally improve (once one learns the nuances of the different game types). What did it for me was following JY's "Fool Proofing" strategy. https://7sage.com/lesson/fool-proof-guide-to-perfection-on-logic-games/ .

For any game that you have not completely perfected, keep practicing it until you get it perfect AND within the designated game time. Then continually review it every so often to cement what you've learned. You will begin to notice how quickly you start to recognize the game patterns and when what setup corresponds to what game type. You will also being to see the nuances between the different subset of game types (i.e. basic ordering vs double-layered basic orderering vs grouping vs in/out vs double or triple layered grouping)

My score has now gone up substantially and I've been scoring 156 consistently on timed PTs. I'm very pleased with the progress that I'm making and will continue to hone these techniques to further burnish by score. The best part is, I've got plenty of room to continue to improve on logic games and I hope this strategy works for you as well. Don't give up! The LSAT can be a very difficult test for some people, but its certainly learnable. Furthermore, don't be discouraged if you find your score has increased after a few PTs and then gone back down - its a normal phenomenon in the learning process and has happened to many people, myself included.

Please feel free to message me if you have any further questions or concerns.

All the best,

Ryan