Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Curvebreakers man... but highest PT yet!

canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
edited November 2020 in General 8318 karma

https://i.imgur.com/0L1tBF5.png

First PT since the Nov test. Run up to the test was 174, 169, 172, 171... please baby jesus let me have hit this stride before the test.

Comments

• Yorgez10Yorgez10 Alum Member
    95 karma

Congrats, any tips for someone who is just starting to prep?

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited November 2020 8318 karma

@CactusJack said:
    Congrats, any tips for someone who is just starting to prep?

Thanks! Praying it went that way on the test too. And I'm not even religious.

I guess as far as general tips, first learn the CC. Don't rush through. Make sure you understand before moving on. While I've read a lot of materials, I basically followed the CC lessons and employed those strategies. Leaving out more specific strategies like skipping, Qtypes, etc., to me the keys are:

• Brutally honest, contemplative, introspective review of your PTs. This should be the majority of your prep time.

• Don't give up drilling games. There's a -0 waiting for anyone who wants it bad enough.

• Force yourself to actually read and understand the way you know you're supposed to. Don't think you're ok just because you know what you're supposed to do. If you have to physically cover up everything but the paragraph/stimulus you're reading, do it. Do your prep, be it reading, drills, BR, review, rest days, the right way even if its boring.

My comment from another post:

...you have to force yourself to do it right the tedious, slow, painful way... not just think in your head "ok I know what I should be doing". Because you won't... you'll do what you've been doing, not what you know you should do. When the SHTF we never rise to the maximum level of efficiency and strategy employment that we've read about, we fall to the level of training that we've sufficiently practiced. So train as you fight, because you'll fight as you trained.

• lsat_suslsat_sus Core Member
    1417 karma

Wow. Congratulations.. It's always bittersweet to see these posts but "there's a -0 waiting for anyone who wants it bad enough" made it goldd.

Would love to hear your story on YT video!!

• learn2skipQslearn2skipQs Member
    730 karma

killer . Super Congrats .

8318 karma

@lsat_hella_sus said:
    Wow. Congratulations.. It's always bittersweet to see these posts but "there's a -0 waiting for anyone who wants it bad enough" made it goldd.

Would love to hear your story on YT video!!

It doesn't seem like it until you get there, but it is absolutely true. I called BS the whole time... just don't give up.

• goforbrokegoforbroke Core Member
    320 karma

Amazing! Congrats! Proof of all the hard work you put in :)

• lsatdiva333lsatdiva333 Member
    227 karma

What's your recommendation to getting to that -0?

• Auntie2020Auntie2020 Member
    552 karma

This is amazing!!!! Congratulations. I see you post every day and I know you deserve it.

You even helped me on one of my questions!

I’ll be following those foot steps.

Have you completed all PTs or working through them?

8318 karma

@Auntie2020 said:
    This is amazing!!!! Congratulations. I see you post every day and I know you deserve it.

You even helped me on one of my questions!

I’ll be following those foot steps.

Have you completed all PTs or working through them?

I had to check but this is my 24th PT. Here you go:

https://i.imgur.com/niDKwPN.png

I guess if you take something from this, it should be that progress isn't linear, and its the quality of your prep, not volume that matters. It blows my mind that people actually "run out" of PTs.

8318 karma

@goforbroke said:
    Amazing! Congrats! Proof of all the hard work you put in :)

Thanks! Hopefully this translates to the actual test.

edited November 2020 8318 karma

@lsatdiva333 said:
    What's your recommendation to getting to that -0?

For games? At the most basic level, just don't give up. When you hear people say that games are the easiest/most reliable score increase, you have to realize that they are slightly misrepresenting the process, though not intentionally. It's not easy in the sense that you shouldn't be feeling like it's just this foreign, insurmountable obstacle. It's the most easy/reliable score increase because all you have to do is not give up. Once you get there you realize this, and it's easy to tell someone to keep swimming when you're the one standing in the boat.

I thought people who said that were full of shit... like sure maybe for you, but not for me. And you'll get to all of these plateaus where you'll feel like you've hit your peak. I guess I'll just never get good at grouping games. I guess those harder games will always give me problems, I'll just hope for an easy set on test day. I guess I'll just try not to make those careless mistakes on test day... -2/-3 isn't so bad. Just don't give up. In my opinion, all you need for games is a good source of explanations (and we have the best here on this site). The rest is foolproofing, and getting that spaced repetition to help your brain build those connections to recognize patterns. Just keep at it and one day it really will just click... not click and ok I guess that's as good as i'll get, but like -0 with 10 minutes left click.

Anyone who's taken cognitive psych can explain why it works, but the real challenge with games (and the whole test IMO) is the psychology of it... you don't perceive the process working, so you think you're the unfortunate exception. You're not. Anyone can do this. Be honest about what your weaknesses are and drill them into the ground.

https://miro.medium.com/max/3840/1*T9IizDMxRB5Z3iSj50XYsg.jpeg

There's no secret. I can't say it enough... just keep pushing.

• lsatdiva333lsatdiva333 Member
    edited November 2020 227 karma

Hahaha thanks so much for your inspirational/encouraging words! Was there a foolproofing method that worked especially well for you? i.e. foolproofing entire sections? foolproofing by game type?

320 karma

@canihazJD said:

https://miro.medium.com/max/3840/1*T9IizDMxRB5Z3iSj50XYsg.jpeg

There's no secret. I can't say it enough... just keep pushing.

Kung fu panda. Love it!

Question about misc games: I see that keeping at games that are easily categorized has made a big difference in my LG score, but I'm still thrown off by the occasional miscellaneous game. Any advice on that front?

8318 karma

@goforbroke said:

@canihazJD said:

Question about misc games: I see that keeping at games that are easily categorized has made a big difference in my LG score, but I'm still thrown off by the occasional miscellaneous game. Any advice on that front?

For me misc games are just about keeping your cool. If you need to, skip games and come back, and let the stimulus kind of process in your head a bit. Usually once you get the setup, misc games seem to be fairly doable. It's just kind of an extension of the same shock you get seeing a new logic game.

320 karma

@canihazJD said:

For me misc games are just about keeping your cool. If you need to, skip games and come back, and let the stimulus kind of process in your head a bit. Usually once you get the setup, misc games seem to be fairly doable. It's just kind of an extension of the same shock you get seeing a new logic game.

Thanks! Yeah I guess I knew that but I needed to hear it from someone else. It's crazy the variance in my performance depending on whether I feel confident or not.