Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I Retake in January? (Canadian Student)

Saumya-ASaumya-A Core Member
edited November 2020 in General 33 karma

Hi everyone! I need a little advice and I was hoping someone could help me out.

This is my second year applying to law school. Last year I scored a 155 on the September 2019 LSAT, and didn't get accepted anywhere. This time around, I've been doing 7Sage for 4 months, getting through 90% of the core curriculum and doing a bunch of practice tests. I wrote the November 2020 LSAT-Flex and scored a 160. I was a little disappointed in my score when I first got it, because I thought I had scored around 163-164 on the test. Now, I've pretty much come to terms with it.

I'm wondering whether I should rewrite the LSAT in January 2021. I'm applying to Canadian law schools (specifically Ontario ones) and I have a 3.87 GPA. I'm also really confident in my personal essays. All of the schools I've applied to have minimum LSAT scores of 155-157, or median scores of 161.

Is it worth it to rewrite the test in January? Or should I be confident in my 160 and hope for the best?

Comments

• mclachl97mclachl97 Core Member
    38 karma

Your GPA + a 160 should get you in to multiple Canadian schools? U of A, UNB, U of C, TRU, U of S and U of M...
    I don't know much about Ontario schools because none of them are on my list so I can't speak to that, but if you read Accepted 2020 threads on lawstudents forums you should see you are well in the range of acceptance.

• Saumya-ASaumya-A Core Member
    33 karma

Thank you for that advice! I was stressing myself out a lot about whether my score was good enough, so I appreciate your feedback a lot. I'm going to check out those forums for sure!

• edowado94edowado94 Core Member
    8 karma

There's a tool for Ontario law schools to predict admission. It excludes Lakehead and Windsor. https://lawapplicants.ca/predictor

33 karma

@edowado94 said:
    There's a tool for Ontario law schools to predict admission. It excludes Lakehead and Windsor. https://lawapplicants.ca/predictor

I've used this a bit and found it really helpful! Thank you!

• PFT CommenterPFT Commenter Core Member
    249 karma

Hey, congrats on the great score. I would not rewrite the LSAT in January if I were you. a 3.87 GPA coupled with a 160 should be enough to make you competitive at most Ontario schools. I would even say that with a strong personal statement, schools like York and UofT are definitely attainable as well. Good luck with apps, fingers crossed!

33 karma

@"PFT Commenter" said:
    Hey, congrats on the great score. I would not rewrite the LSAT in January if I were you. a 3.87 GPA coupled with a 160 should be enough to make you competitive at most Ontario schools. I would even say that with a strong personal statement, schools like York and UofT are definitely attainable as well. Good luck with apps, fingers crossed!

Hi, thank you so much! I really appreciate your kind thoughts and your advice! As of now, I've registered for the January LSAT and have been doing practice in the meantime. I got super paranoid and I didn't want to leave anything up to chance, and I also feel like I can score higher. If I end up getting accepted somewhere before January, I'll probably end up cancelling my LSAT date in January, but if not, it doesn't hurt to try again. Thank you for responding!