Help - Prep Tests Much Worse Since Studying with 7Sage

rcuneo1rcuneo1 Member
edited December 2020 in General 12 karma

I decided sort of late in the game that now would be a good time to go to law school. I registered for the October 2020 test in July. I got a 167 on my diagnostic test. I studied with Magoosh (because I had a great experience with them on the GRE) but I was working full time at a restaurant trying to make as much money as possible before we shut down again so I really didn't study as much as I should have. I got a 168 on the October Flex. I felt that given that I had done well without much studying, I could re-take, really apply myself, and have a good shot at getting above 170.

I signed up for 7Sage and when I'm doing the lessons I feel like I'm learning a lot. Lots of ah ha moments. However, I've now taken three prep tests on 7Sage and scored 163, 164, and 165 respectively. On Blind Review on the first two I got a 170, but the last one I was honestly so discouraged I got kind of lazy on Blind Review and only got my score to a 168. I am so frustrated. I'm spending a lot of time studying and I've gotten significantly worse. It's KILLING my confidence and I am afraid to take the LSAT in January because I went from feeling great about it to feeling hopeless. I took prep tests July-Sept on the LSAC site and scored between 165-168. I'm wondering if the 7Sage format has something to do with it? I can't understand how I've gotten so much worse.

I've focused a lot of my time on 7Sage on LR because I felt I had the most room for improvement there, but I'm seeing no improvement and now LG is suffering. I'm kicking myself for delaying my apps when I could have applied with the 168, but please don't pile on in this regard telling me what I should have done. I really thought I was making the best call at the time based on the information I had (including my success up to that point).

Any advice?

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

It really depends how you are using 7Sage! If you are taking PTs the same way you did before, maybe your score is dipping from burnout or from overconfidence because you have taken more PTs and are going through the questions too quickly. Also, not every 7Sage method is going to work for everyone. For example, I have never sat down and thought "what is the high res summary, what is the low res summary" on an RC passage. That type of method would not help me do well on a test.

To improve LR, I definitely recommend supplementing the LR explanation videos with public forums (PowerScore, ManhattanPrep, etc) to get different explanations of the same answer choice. It's tedious but it really helps with understanding tough LR questions in my opinion. For LG, I recommend doing a little bit every day, even if it's 2 games. LG skills are like a muscle where you don't want to abandon them for too long