Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are ear plugs allowed for Writing Sample?

WhatslsatWhatslsat Member
in General 476 karma

It's not very clear on the website. LSAC says that they allow ear plugs starting Aug, 2020. I know that the plugs are allowed for the actual exam but for the writing sample the instruction page says Headphones, Earbuds are prohibited.

I called LSAC for clarification but the rep I spoke with wasn't sure either. Her explanation was basically what's on the website. (she said as long as you can show it to the proctor it's fine, to which, I responded, "I thought there was no proctor for the writing sample and it's just my self-recording of the process??"

I plan on using non-electronic foam ear plugs.
Could someone who has taken the exam weigh in on this! Much appreciated.

Comments

• a1ex_682a1ex_682 Alum Member
    307 karma

Taken from LSAC's writing website: "Headphones, earbuds, or anything similar that is not a soft, non-electronic, non-corded/banded, generic foam ear plug (unless otherwise specified in an accommodation approval letter, if applicable)"

Yes, generic soft foam ear plugs are allowed. But, make sure you hold them up and show them to the camera (as well as everything else on your desk) during the room scan or else your sample may be flagged for review.

• emmorensemmorens Core Member
    1470 karma

I emailed LSAC and they confirmed they are allowed on the exam... I assume that extends to the writing sample given that its part of the exam?

I would recommend printing out the guidelines that state they are allowed and keep it in a desk or something nearby incase you have problems with a proctor, but you shouldn't have any issues. :)

• WhatslsatWhatslsat Member
    476 karma

Thanks so much guys!!