Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dealing with a bad PT this close to Jan Flex

aszane21aszane21 Member
in General 350 karma

So after getting a 176 and 175 on two PTs (81 and 86) I took 75 as a flex and got... a 168. I tanked on RC (-6) and also did fairly bad on LR for what I've been scoring (-3). Bright spot was a -1 on LG but overall it was not great. I this is tied for my worst RC score (I also got -6 on PT 70 a few weeks) and I'm sort of deflated even though I'm aware that I'm probably more likely to get -2 or -3 on RC since that's what I usually get. I feel like I've neglected RC and honestly 7sage's methods don't help me. I've been listening to the Powerscore podcast and I've considered buying the RC bible and cramming it before Sunday. However, I'm worried about a) burn out and b) that I'm overreacting. I don't know if there was anything off about this PT although I might have gotten overconfident after hitting those high scores. Should I take more PTs before Sunday? The Powerscore podcast says no because a bomb might put me into a spin (already kind of happened).

This was a mess of a post but any insight would be super helpful

Comments

• A.MENS2020A.MENS2020 Member
    82 karma

Hi! I'm in not in the same range as you but after taking the November LSAT, I've realized that burn out has an immense impact on your score. I have been studying less since the November LSAT and have concentrated only on games (because I can improve quickly there) and the areas that are error-prone for me in LR, and on exams. I would suggest that you give yourself at least 4-5 days before the LSAT exam without taking any exams and give yourself 2-days free before the LSAT to not study or touch the books at all. A lower stress environment and doing less PT's actually increased my score. My tutor also said the same thing and mentioned that when you're studying so much, you do a disservice to yourself in not letting the material sink in. Score-fluctuation is normal, but taking another exam will not aid this, and may in fact harm it if your problem is burn out. So I would take a couple days to exercise, get a good sleep, eat well and review the question types you get wrong on the exam on 7SAGE. I also had insane eye-strain in my burn-out phase, and so switching to paper copies of exams and/or problem sets helped (I would still time them). That's my advice anyways, since following it, I've gone up almost 8pts in 1.5 months of studying (ironic yes, because I've been studying less). But the breaks in between really re-energize you! Wishing you all the best and please take the time to relax before the exam, you will do amazing!
    Best of luck!

• MartianmanMartianman Core Member
    211 karma

Put it out of your mind!

At this point you've put in the work, just get your mind right. Focus on bringing the right mentality into the test. You got a 168 on your worst day, that's a great floor. Take it for what it is (anomalous) and focus on a positive confident outlook for Sunday. 175 and 176 is complete mastery of the content, rock out and enjoy the fruits of the work you put in to get there.

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    edited January 2021 905 karma

There's still enough time to take another PT before Sunday (especially as a Flex). ... Assuming you're not working full-time?

I'd fit in another test to counter the psych-out from this recent test. It could make such a difference to your mindspace before the actual test day. :) Have you taken PT 69? Totally anecdotal, but I had a 0 on that RC section (and my RC score dipped on 70 and 75 compared to my recent 'usual'). PT 76 is another one that might be 'easy.' If you haven't taken that test yet either ...

Maybe think of it this way: would you regret not having taken another PT if you thought that just the chance of a setback mentally might/did (post-score) affect your performance on test day? If you don't think that it would help much, then you could just focus on drills. Especially if you're not used to taking a PT at the frequency of adding this additional test. I think with 6 days remaining, you're less likely to suffer burn-out if you continue to work as you have been. (But, that's totally my opinion and I tend to look at this test more as practicing for a piano competition compared to competing in a marathon) Good luck!!