LSAT FLex & RAM Capacity - Mac

edited January 2021 in General 31 karma

There was a previous discussion on increasing Mac RAM storage capacity ahead of the Flex test and I can't find it anymore. I'm struggling to get within the parameters required for ProctorU - did anyone else see the thread recommendations? Many thanks!

Comments

• _iamnw96_iamnw96 Alum Member
    437 karma

following

• Kristy JKristy J Member
    10 karma

same! any #help would be greatly appreciated :)

• emmorensemmorens Core Member
    1470 karma

following!

• tbrabahatbrabaha Core Member
    17 karma

Hey! I had this same problem. A few things you can do (as per my google searches lol):

• Restart your MAC
    • Use your Spotlight Search to find your 'Activity Monitor' - once you open that, click on 'Memory' to see what's taking up the most memory, then double click and select 'quit' anything you don't need. (I would delete a few things and then run the test again to see if I cleared up enough RAM storage)
    • Definitely run the ProctorU test again the day before, and repeat the process as necessary!

Hopefully this was somewhat helpful, good luck :smiley:

• alexmahmoudalexmahmoud Core Member
    89 karma

hey my mac was doing the same thing for the proctor-u pre-test check. you can call proctoru or talk to their live chat, and they'll send you to a different pre-test check site. as long as your computer works with THAT test, you'll be fine.

• aszane21aszane21 Member
    edited January 2021 350 karma

@carolientje88 said:
    There was a previous discussion on increasing Mac RAM storage capacity ahead of the Flex test and I can't find it anymore. I'm struggling to get within the parameters required for ProctorU - did anyone else see the thread recommendations? Many thanks!

This could work but I haven't tried it: Boot your Mac in safety mode, that shuts down a lot of the background apps that are taking up RAM. You may also want to uninstall some apps and then reinstall after your test. I had an antivirus software that was taking up a lot of RAM even when it wasn't open that I had to get rid of

• 31 karma

Thank you all for taking the time to respond! :) @aszane21 @alexmahmoud @tbrabaha

• stmj3467stmj3467 Member
    73 karma

Try typing 'sudo purge' (without the apostrophes) on terminal.

• lsatdiva333lsatdiva333 Member
    227 karma

My very old mac from 2015 has a memory of 4GB and wasn't passing the equipment test for ProctorU yesterday, so I backed it up and completely restored it. It's passing the equipment test now that I've done so, but I'm going to try with a 8GB PC tonight to see if that works too.
    I think ProctorU says the minimum RAM is 3GB but recommended is 16GB.

• 31 karma

Hey everyone... Opening "Activity Monitor" and force quitting most activity got me to 85% for the RAM criteria, which had been causing me to fail previously. Think that may be the key! Hope it helps :)

• lsatlyfe-1lsatlyfe-1 Core Member
    31 karma

Hi! I kept getting many error messages and I cleared browsing data completely and fixed everything! Don't stress it'll be okay:)