PT17.S4.P3 - Carbon Tax

MambaMentality93MambaMentality93 Live Member
edited January 2021 in Reading Comprehension 503 karma

Hello fellow 7Sagers,

I have a question regarding the third passage of PT17. I cannot seem to understand what the author meant in line 13 to 16. What does the author mean? Why would you substitute less-polluting fuels (natural gas) for those carrying a higher tax (meaning more-polluting fuels)? This is mind-boggling to me!
I've watched and re-watched JY's explanation video, but it doesn't solve my problem.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-17-section-4-passage-3-passage/

Comments

• Auntie2020Auntie2020 Member
    552 karma

Hmmm okay! So I did not read JY's explanation, but I read this as you substitute less polluting fuels for those that are more polluting. So in other words, you use energy that pollutes less instead or in place of energy that pollutes more.

You tax based on how much carbon is emitted, and so higher the carbon pollution the higher the tax. So when something is taxed more, then you wanna move away from it and use energy that does not emit as much carbon and is not taxed as highly.

Please let me know if this explanation is insufficient or you want more of a clarification!

• MambaMentality93MambaMentality93 Live Member
    503 karma

@Auntie2020 So when something is taxed more, you want to move away from it. I get what you're saying. But in the passage, the author says they substitute natural gas (doest pollute a lot and something you should aim to use) for more polluting fuels (something highly taxed that you should aim to stay away from). I don't get why you would move from natural gas to non-natural and not vice versa

552 karma

Yes! It is read as they use natural gas instead of more polluting fuels.

Ex. I am substituting for the regular teacher today. (I am replacing the regular teacher for today)
    I will substitute avocado oil for canola oil in my recipe (I am using avocado oil instead of canola oil.)

They are not moving away from natural gas and is actually moving towards it in place of something else.

• MambaMentality93MambaMentality93 Live Member
    503 karma

@Auntie2020 OMG!!!! I just got it! Can't believe I misunderstood that!! Thank you!!!

552 karma

Lol you’re welcome! This test really makes us decipher everything