Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Motivation?

mia12345mia12345 Core Member
in General 260 karma

Looking for a little motivation. Idk why I’m having so much trouble getting back into studying. I’ve taken MONTHS off since bombing my November LSAT and am trying to get the discipline/motivation to get back on the horse. I think I’m discouraged with the time I previously feel like I “wasted” with Kaplan. I burned myself out only to get a crazy low score and now am having trouble getting myself to buckle down and study again. Has this happened to anyone else?

Comments

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited January 2021 4306 karma

I can't say I've taken months off and wasn't sure how to get back into the flow of things, but I can say I've lost motivation, more often than I thought I would during this process. What I've learned is that motivation only gets you started, determination and grit is what gets you to the finish line.

Develop your determination

The road to the end of this journey is up to you. Its your decisions and actions each day that will determine the outcome. We all want our dreams to happen, and it comes down to the choice of seeking them or deciding to let them pass us by. Not many people work on themselves every day but the great ones do. Not many people are willing to sacrifice for months or even years to achieve their goals, but the great ones do. So ask yourself, do you want to be great or do you want to fall short.

The problem is most of us are too scared to fail. We come up with all sorts of excuses about why we can’t do it, why we won’t succeed. But here is the thing, there is always room to get better, so just start. Rather than seeing all the obstacles as unbreakable barriers look at them as mere hurdles and lessons.

Don't look at studying with Kaplan as a "waste", it was a lesson that you can learn from so take that with you as you continue. Don't think about how much time you might have saved, there's no good in doing that. Stop thinking about yesterday and start working on today. Just remember this: Keep Going: It’s Always Too Early to Quit.

One of my favorite things to watch everyday that just remind me to keep going -

• sweetdee123sweetdee123 Core Member
    10 karma

Same exact boat!!! I just kind of hopped on the "new year" mentality and started studying slowly with 7sage as soon as the new year rang in. It is a hard and defeated feeling when you've bombed an LSAT and one of the hardest things is to just get back up and hit the ground running again. All I can say is just be kind to yourself and start slowly, and then you find yourself picking it back up quickly since you already know some topics. I was happily surprised when I went through the curriculum of 7sage and already knew some topics. It feels like you're just adding to what you know. Hope this helps and good luck with the rest of your journey. You got this.

• weloverowanweloverowan Core Member
    26 karma

Thank you! I just watched several of these and am now feeling ready to tackle things.

• Auntie2020Auntie2020 Member
    552 karma

I have been reading this book called Atomic Habits! It might be helpful!

Even if you don't have the motivation, if you incorporate studies into your routine and make a habit out of it you will be okay! I know that was a really simplified and probably a dubious statement, but I highly encourage checking out the book.

You got this! Ease back into it and just make studying automatic. It's like brushing your teeth or whatever you do daily. It's just something you do.

• PlatinumPlatinum Member
    363 karma

Thank you.

363 karma

Feeling burned out is normal if you are studying hard or have studied hard. What has helped me is to take some personal time and read other books that are interesting during that personal time. Don’t try to rush the process even though it may seem challenging because you have set some goals. Sometimes plans change, and that is ok. It is always easier to quit, but it is much harder to keep going. Don’t give in to the naysayers or the feeling of being inadequate. You can do it.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us” -Marianne Williamson

363 karma

@Platinum said:
    Thank you.

@Law and Yoda

• ToniB EsqToniB Esq Core Member
    22 karma

I am glad I am not alone. As many of you have stated, I have been not feeling motivated since November/December. My practice scores are not changing and one has even gotten lower. I am working full-time and the job has been a nightmare, and not being able to go to my favorite places due to COVID-19 has added to the hum bum feelings. However, it is encouraging to read some of your messages. Therefore, I will continue to study and practice even if I only do 30 minutes or a hour a day. It is progress! Let's do it together! Ooops. .Happy New Year!

• CindycarCindycar Member
    20 karma

Hi, This has happened to me. I have bombed 2 lsat and took a whole year off of for a retake now in January. What helped for me is journaling - asking myself why I wanted to go to law school and reading that over and over each day I didn't feel like studying, taking care of my mental health (taking days off), and also finding other people (like this) going through similar experiences. Because anyone else won't understand the struggle. But more than motivation you have to find the disciple, to study even when you don't want to because you know it'll benefit you in the long run. Also, make an overall plan, but also take it day by day. Say to yourself - ok, 2 hrs of studying today is better than 0. Small progress is still progress! Good luck!

• SarahSpringerjztSarahSpringerjzt Free Trial Member
    edited January 2021 2 karma

Thank you very much. Really motivating!

• mmanjarrmmanjarr Core Member
    43 karma

Thank you so much for posting this. I am with you. Law and Yoda nailed it. You've got this!!!!

• Bebop_the_CowboyBebop_the_Cowboy Core Member
    edited February 2021 21 karma

So I just started my LSAT journey also. Rather I'm picking it back up again. I graduated college in 2018. I've been working FT in the Cannabis industry, because I believe that much in its growth and of course the legal infrastructure to be created. Yet, in a sense I got lost on my way to law school. I can empathize with trying to find motivation, but understand it's all about the headspace you're in. You should change your relationship with failure. It's not something that defines you, because you yourself are separate from your actions. Don't let fear stop you from trying again, because the time will pass regardless. I urge you to take on a balanced approach. One that's based in curiosity and the pursuit of a craft not one that's contingent on time, because that's where judgement and over-criticism comes in. Remember consistency is key even if it's a little at a time. Studying is simply an action that can be made habitual!

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

I agree with @"Law and Yoda", who as usual has good advice. I haven't been burned out by LSAT studying, but after the October test I took time away from studying to work on applications. Man, that process took longer and was way harder than I thought it would be and I was completely burned out by the end. I did most of the programs I was most excited about first and writing and revising essays for the others was such a chore. Even as it got easier the effort it required to keep going just kept growing. I didn't finish until a few weeks before the January LSAT, which I hope to use to bolster scholarship negotiations. Getting back to studying was hard not really because I was tired of the LSAT but because I used so much of that determination and will power and mental energy on applications.

My advice is box yourself in with your study. Set up conditions that require you to get studying done. I BR'd with partners, which I can't endorse enough both because it teaches you to see the test and the questions through their eyes, which can only strengthen your performance, and because I would not want to let others down or interrupt their schedule by canceling sessions if I could help it. It set me on a schedule. I had to get Monday's sessions done on time because I would need to prepare for Friday's sessions.

Also, don't be discouraged if your scores dip, you are doing this for the experience and none of us get points based on our PTs. Don't beat yourself down for not getting a 180 on a practice session. The point is the practice and the experience, not the score. You can do it! Keep at it!

• Willa.HaoWilla.Hao Yearly Member
    54 karma

thank you guys for your supportive massages~