Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Book recommendation for English syntax

Being an ESL speaker, I noticed the complex grammars were what usually slowed me down. Recently, I was recommended by a linguistic professor to learn English Syntax. Does anyone here also agree that having a good knowledge about syntax SUBSTANTIALLY help your processing hard questions? If so, would you be so kind to recommend some books?

Many thanks,
Leon

Comments

• There are free resources that you can find with a quick google search. I wouldn't recommend purchasing a book unless you plan to take the LSAT more than six months from now. I don't understand your struggle as an ESL student, but I am a grade school English teacher. I've noticed that ESL and native speakers struggle with main and subordinate clauses. During the few months that I've invested in LSAT studying, it seems like the LSAT writers tend to use subordinate clauses to throw a lot of irrelevant information your way. Take this with a grain of salt.

• studying4thelsatstudying4thelsat Yearly Member
    49 karma

You might've already heard this before, but one recommendation I have is to read articles from websites like The Economist, The NY Times, etc. that can also help improve your language and grammar. I was an ESL tutor for several years and that's always something I've recommended. The quicker you're able to read and understand what is said, the more likely you'll be able to do the same on the LSAT. Good luck!