Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cancelling

kkckkck13kkckkck13 Member
edited February 2021 in General 37 karma

How much does cancelling really hurt your application? I cancelled my first score and got a 171 on my second, but I am hoping to take it again to improve my chances at getting into a top tier school (Harvard, Columbia, UChicago). If I were to take it and cancel again, how much could that hurt my application? What about if I got a lower score on my third one?

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8485 karma

Minimal if any effect... but also the same for a lower score you don't cancel. Personally I'd advise against it unless something catastrophic happens like you don't get to do half a section.

• bensasounianbensasounian Member
    94 karma

I wish I was debating cancelling a 171 lol. I read that they only care about your top score since that is the one LSAC will report for their rankings.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

Agree with above. Unless you absolutely bomb the test, for example you don't finish one and a half games and guess randomly on a whole passage in RC, there isn't much reason to cancel. If you get a 165 they are hardly going to throw out a 171. Even if you bomb, if there is a reason they are more than happy to take you at your word and accept that 171 over whatever the second score is.

• kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
    1687 karma

I agree with both @bensasounian and @verdantZephyr the schools care about your top score and since you're scoring in the 170's it is unlikely that you're going to bomb the test unless there was something out of your control! I don't think keeping the score or cancelling will have any effect.