Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those disappointed with their scores

LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
in General 2464 karma

This morning I've been seeing a lot of disappointment posts- a lot more than usual after scores are released. In any case, I just wanted to make a brief post that will hopefully expedite the grieving process and get you back on the horse ASAP. Also, full disclosure, I also received an official score that was significantly lower than my avg PT back in October, so I can fully relate.

First and foremost I want to preface this just by saying that everyone studying for this test and grappling with the mentally taxing beast that is the LSAT deserves recognition, so give yourself a round of applause. Most of us out here do not fall into the rare group of people that have a natural (or nurtured) aptitude for this test and as a result have to work hard to get our scores up (not to say the others don't, it's all relative). In any case, seeing a lower score after all that hard work can feel, as many have put it today, "devastating". But as they say in theatre "the show must go on" (in case you are wondering, no, i'm not a theatre person). Keep in mind that a lot of (dare I say most) of the 7sage success stories did not get their amazing scores on their first attempt and would not have gotten them had they given up after a disappointing score- food for thought.

Now, for those struggling with motivation or questioning whether law is no longer the right path (solely because of an LSAT score that does not reflect the hard work they've put in) do yourselves a favor: take at least a couple days off and pick up the book "Can't hurt me" by David Goggins. This book was recommended to me by someone who helped me, and boy did it light the fire under my ass.

Lastly, I know this test has the ability to consume your entire life (been there). So please, take care of your health, go outside for walks or runs, hit the gym, get your skin some sunlight and make sure you do non-LSAT related things.

Yes, this test is important, but it is just that, a test.

Good luck!

Comments

• kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
    1687 karma

@Logician very well said, I have been there(still am) I have seen the greatest improvements in my score when I let my brain take a break from the LSAT and do what @Logician says. Thank you for your post!

• PFT CommenterPFT Commenter Core Member
    249 karma

Stay Hard.

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

@kkole444 no problem!

• RosenvibesRosenvibes Member
    64 karma

Will check out the book. Thanks for the post.

• CRISPR24CRISPR24 Alum Member
    262 karma

I highly appreciate your post @Logician! Choosing this path is already a hard choice, why settle for the lower score if we can still improve??

• JDream2025JDream2025 Alum Member
    996 karma

Thank you.

• CATHARINACATHARINA Member
    39 karma

This is a lovely post but most people who are truly disappointed are those that have seen massive improvements on their PTs and not once has it translated to their actual test day score aka the test was taken more than once. It's very hard to go from expecting a 165 or better based on significantly higher PT scores and choosing appropriate schools to then dropping far below that and realizing that either 1) your goals are no longer viable (big law) or you have to move to a state you never planned on living in.
    What makes it worse, is that nobody seems to be able to explain how scores from perfectly imitated PTs can vary so greatly (and repeatedly) from test day when there are no disorders or test anxiety.

• Gracey20Gracey20 Member
    14 karma

Woooow! Thank you for sharing that. The part that got me is the grieving process that is apart of this journey. Something that needs to be said. As people may be processing their disappointment, it helps to be fully in that place so that they can transition into the other side of being renewed, refreshed and encouraged to carry on. Love this!