PT1.S3.Q17- Superior conductors

jasminaboeverjasminaboever Member
edited February 2021 in Logical Reasoning 9 karma

I don't understand why D is correct? Can someone explain this to me. I chose A.

Comments

• yunonsieyunonsie Member
    611 karma

I haven't done this before, so apologies if this isn't the clearest explanation. Let me know and I'll try to clarify.

It's a basic assumption question.

Argument (paraphrased): A top conductor is able to sell their artistic interpretation of a song to an orchestra, so that the orchestra respects that vision and intensifies its practice to bring it to life. Note, there doesn't seem to be any premises.

The assumption here is that the orchestra can be motivated to intensify practice, even though the thing that is doing the motivating (conductor's interpretation) doesn't exist yet. Which is essentially what (D) says.

(A) is wrong because it doesn't make the argument clearer, which is what you'd expect from a basic assumption question. What if a conductor plays a composition just one time? Argument still holds true, but that assumption falls apart. A conductor can also perform the same interpretation with multiple orchestras. Argument still holds true, but that assumption falls apart.

• McBeck418McBeck418 Member
    edited February 2021 500 karma

The stimulus tells us that a superior conductor gains his/her authority to intensify an orchestra’s rehearsals by making the orchestra respect the interpretation of the piece. As a result, this authority isn’t claimed, but earned.

The question asks what does the author presuppose/assume.

Well, the argument takes for granted that one can respect an interpretation of a piece without fully understanding the interpretation. So if you’re currently rehearsing some conductor’s interpretation of Strauss’ Voices of Spring, can you actually respect the interpretation if you have no idea what they actually fully intend?

D speaks to the assumption. It says top orchestras can appreciate the merits of an interpretation even before they have brought it into full realisation. They don’t have the understand the conductor’s full interpretation to respect it.

A says that conductors create a different interpretation for each orchestra they perform with. So, if I were to conduct the local high school orchestra, I might use one interpretation and if I worked with the American Classical Orchestra, I’d use another interpretation. The author doesn’t make this assumption.

• Help2222Help2222 Member
    240 karma

I agree with both interpretations above. I arrived at D through the process of elimination. Because "This authority cannot simply be claimed.."( The conclusion), to me this assumes D: "Top orchestras can appreciate the merits of an interpretation even before they have brought it (interpretation) even before they have brought it to full realization". The premise is that "...the conductor must earn it..." Thanks!