Practice Test score decreasing - ideas?

carolinelsatcarolinelsat Member
in General 103 karma

I am scheduled to take the April 2021 flex exam. Last week I scored a 172, then a 165, and now this morning a 162. I am worried about these large fluctuations this close to my exam day. Does anybody have any advice on how best to structure my studying from this point forward? In general - just feeling like I was where I needed to be before, but all of a sudden I am falling behind even with so many hours of studying. Feeling lost.

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

It sounds like you might be burning out to be honest, so I would recommend studying a little less. Was the 172 a fluke, or is that around where you usually score? If you're usually scoring in the low 170s, I'd imagine the 162 is the fluke. Also, are you blind reviewing your tests? If you're doing a BR and you scored a 162 timed and a 178 untimed, it really does sound like burnout/fatigue. If you scored 162 both timed and untimed, I'd just recommend focusing on the sections of the test where you didn't do as well going forward. Definitely prioritize your time instead of trying to put in a lot of hours

• carolinelsatcarolinelsat Member
    103 karma

@noonawoon said:
    It sounds like you might be burning out to be honest, so I would recommend studying a little less. Was the 172 a fluke, or is that around where you usually score? If you're usually scoring in the low 170s, I'd imagine the 162 is the fluke. Also, are you blind reviewing your tests? If you're doing a BR and you scored a 162 timed and a 178 untimed, it really does sound like burnout/fatigue. If you scored 162 both timed and untimed, I'd just recommend focusing on the sections of the test where you didn't do as well going forward. Definitely prioritize your time instead of trying to put in a lot of hours

Thank you for the advice and reassurance. Yes, I am scoring much higher on BR. The 172 was the first full practice test after I completed the CC (prior to CC I was scoring around a 166). I am going to be studying this week and then will plan to take the weekend off to try to prevent the burnout like you said may be a factor here. I really appreciate the advice!

• hlesterhlester Core Member
    10 karma

I had a similar problem. My score went down because I was psyching myself out. Recalibrate yourself and watch the review of the test questions you missed. Maybe you should write down what you got wrong and why you got it wrong to try to figure out what is tripping you up?

• kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
    edited February 2021 1687 karma

I agree with both @noonawoon and @hlester . Plus I myself have had score drops because I was 'burnout' normal questions I would fly though we giving me trouble and I've had score drops of 10 points because of it. I learned that I would need to take a few days when I would start to see a down ward trend in my scores. After the break I was more willing to learn and my mind was rested so it was easier to learn as well as being more motivated to do LSAT stuff. I find it weird that I can know the principles so well but if I'm burnt the principles seem 100X more difficult.