Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Accuracy and Speed

kategray10kategray10 Core Member

On the logic games, I am SLOW. I've been working on them combining 7sage and the PowerScore Logic Games bible. What I am finding is I either have great accuracy and can complete like 1 to 1.5 games or I am able to complete them faster, but my accuracy suffers. Is this a hurdle to improvement or am I pushing for more speed than I am ready for at this point. For context, I am taking the LSAT in April, so I don't have forever to study.

Comments

• SheboyganBoiSheboyganBoi Member
    195 karma

Just to clarify, when you say you "can complete like 1 to 1.5 games" do you mean that's what you're able to complete in 35 minutes? Regardless, one of the best pieces of LSAT advice that I've gotten in general is that you should never sacrifice accuracy for speed in any case because if you are, your fundamentals probably aren't where they need to be. I understand that you don't have a ton of time with your test date being in April, but definitely take your time now to carefully go through the LG CC and get a good grasp of how to tackle each game type. From there, if you just follow the fool proofing guide JY lays out for us, LG quickly becomes one of the easier sections to tackle. Hope this helped!

• yang9999yang9999 Core Member
    419 karma

@hsiyad22 said:
    Just to clarify, when you say you "can complete like 1 to 1.5 games" do you mean that's what you're able to complete in 35 minutes? Regardless, one of the best pieces of LSAT advice that I've gotten in general is that you should never sacrifice accuracy for speed in any case because if you are, your fundamentals probably aren't where they need to be. I understand that you don't have a ton of time with your test date being in April, but definitely take your time now to carefully go through the LG CC and get a good grasp of how to tackle each game type. From there, if you just follow the fool proofing guide JY lays out for us, LG quickly becomes one of the easier sections to tackle. Hope this helped!

yes. fool-proofing allows you to develop muscle-memory for setting up logic games (where imo most of the battle is won or lost). The point is that the LG section is highly predictable in its set of possible game templates, minus the rare oddball game or two, and often accuracy is lost due to a bad setup. I would also definitely play up accuracy and decrease emphasis on speed.

• kategray10kategray10 Core Member
    6 karma

No, I am speaking about the test sets that 7Sage gives you. I'm going to go back to the basics and just turn off the timer for a little while, but at what point do you have to just go with your gut on a question and move on in order to get to more games and have time for their setups as well. Generally, I am only missing one question in a game set. I haven't had sweeping issues throughout.

• brookegojazzbrookegojazz Core Member
    360 karma

@kategray10 said:
    No, I am speaking about the test sets that 7Sage gives you. I'm going to go back to the basics and just turn off the timer for a little while, but at what point do you have to just go with your gut on a question and move on in order to get to more games and have time for their setups as well. Generally, I am only missing one question in a game set. I haven't had sweeping issues throughout.

Are you "trying out" each answer choice on most questions? Meaning you're doing an individual setup for each A.C.? That's where the setup often becomes invaluable because you _don't___ have to try out each answer choice on each question, your game boards are built for speed AND accuracy. This means you'll take more time upfront writing rules and representing rules and boards, and getting a hang of how that particular game works, but you can get through many questions in less than 30 seconds. There will still be questions you need to write out, particularly if they give you a variable that goes a certain way, but even then it's more just plugging it in and scanning for an answer.

It might be good practice to see if you can find different ways to represent the rules on your game board as much as possible/eliminate rules off your rule list. Feel free to reach out if you have questions! I was pretty inaccurate and slow at games for a while and have worked hard to get to a place where I'm always -2 every section, under time, and consistently -1/-0 as well.