Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Working and Studying as a Full Time Nurse

LizlizzyorlizLizlizzyorliz Member
in General 13 karma

I am at a impasse. I am trying to decide whether I should test in June 2021 or August 2021.

I finished my first practice test. My test score was 134 on my first try. The Blind review score was 141. If I test in June, I am on a three and a half month plan. If I test in august, I am on a 5 and a half month plan.

Is it worth a shoot testing in June 2021 because 3 months is the average study time or due to my situation should I study longer due to my time constraints?

When to test?
  1. 3 1/2 month study plan or 5 1/2 month study plan39 votes
    1. June 2021
        2.56%
    2. August 2021
      97.44%

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

What are your goals?

• WickedLostWickedLost Member
    481 karma

How long have you been studying? I would suggest August. I've been studying for almost a year now and it still feels like there's much more I could improve.

• ConstantineConstantine Member
    edited February 2021 1320 karma

If your current score is 140 then if a goal is 150 June 2021 (if 153 August 2021, if 160 January 2022, if 165 August 2022).

• WouldRatherBeEatingWouldRatherBeEating Alum Member
    456 karma

I worked a lot and I personally took 6 months the first time and another 5ish months the second exam, for about a year in total. I worked and thought I’d be able to study a lot more than I could. It’s a very strange test to study for because it’s hard to do it tired; it’s not absorbing information or facts which you can do tired if needed, but it’s solving problems timed. You can definitely study for it while busy but I found burnout was very real when I would study and work too much, causing my scores to dip. I’d plan for more time vs less, and keep in mind the dates to postpone the exam for free by.

• brookegojazzbrookegojazz Core Member
    360 karma

Honestly it partly depends on your goals, but I'd give yourself as much time as you can, even if that means delaying a year. I work full time and am a parent and the LSAT is a tough one! The LSAT is a really tricky test because it's testing skills and comprehension, not content knowledge. Once I took the time pressure off myself of meeting a certain score by a certain date, things got better. I listened to advice on 7sage that I didn't want to, which was that it's better to get your PTs and test abilities to where you want and then sign up than it is to try and make your test score fit a certain date.

You can do this! It's tough to work full time and study, but you've got this! I've seen massive improvement in where I was to where I am, all thanks to 7sage.

• foodplantsfoodplants Core Member
    46 karma

Hi,

All of the comments here are so important. I work full time as a legal assistant. I studied for 4 months and experienced a lot of stress from the time constraints and much tiredness from working 45+ hrs/wk, which eventually lead to burn out. I ended up taking off two months from studying to recover from the burnout, enjoy the holidays, and I moved to a new city. Then once I got back into my studies, I got covid lol. Life happens. Do not rush the LSAT. Take august. Or contrary to popular belief, don't plan when you want to take the LSAT. Get comfortable with your studies and THEN decide when you want to take the test because that might help you gauge how much time you actually want to (or are able to) study for this test. I thought 4 months was enough for myself and guess what - it wasnt. That did not come until after putting in some work first, some trial and error. I'm not sure if that is good advice or not, since the first step most people take is planning when they want to take the test. However, us full-time people are different. When i took the time constraints off myself, my stress levels changed and i was able to redirect that energy into focusing. I hope this helps.

From, someone who is aiming for August

• eriksisraeleriksisrael Member
    16 karma

Fellow nurse here (traveler). I'm taking June having been studying since November, and that's only because I just cancelled my current contract to take the next 4 months off to solely focus on this. It's so difficult to maintain focus and momentum when we work the way we do. I would recommend August regardless of your goals, because you deserve to do the best you can. If you do have to work the whole time- pace yourself.

• Lizardking-1Lizardking-1 Member
    358 karma

I don't want to be negative, but with your background, seriously ask yourself why law school is a goal. My partner is an RN (1 year out of school), and she makes FAR more money than most lawyers earn even after several years in the field. I know that may sound anecdotal, but its indicative of the massive variance in job prospects between nursing and law. Nursing has a reputation for providing solid income and job stability; not the case with law grads of the past 10 years. Maybe its not about the money, and you have a legitimate interest in legal work. If that's the case, you have a massive amount of work ahead of you. 134 is a challenging starting point. Even most tier three schools require a 155 score, and they don't offer great employment prospects. I apologize for the pessimism. I just worry about the excessively optimistic attitude that circulates within these LSAT curriculum forums. Everyone here is in the same place (sitting for the LSAT), and consequently, there isn't the same level of realism that a forum like reddit provides its users, because that user base actually consists of law grads and lawyers that have career experience (or lack thereof, and are jaded as a result). If you haven't already, spend some time talking with recent (like last 5 years) law grads. Again, I mean no offense. Lastly, I'd think you'd need 6 months minimum, so August at the earliest. Best of luck to you.

• LizlizzyorlizLizlizzyorliz Member
    13 karma

@"Lizardking-1" said:
    I don't want to be negative, but with your background, seriously ask yourself why law school is a goal. My partner is an RN (1 year out of school), and she makes FAR more money than most lawyers earn even after several years in the field. I know that may sound anecdotal, but its indicative of the massive variance in job prospects between nursing and law. Nursing has a reputation for providing solid income and job stability; not the case with law grads of the past 10 years. Maybe its not about the money, and you have a legitimate interest in legal work. If that's the case, you have a massive amount of work ahead of you. 134 is a challenging starting point. Even most tier three schools require a 155 score, and they don't offer great employment prospects. I apologize for the pessimism. I just worry about the excessively optimistic attitude that circulates within these LSAT curriculum forums. Everyone here is in the same place (sitting for the LSAT), and consequently, there isn't the same level of realism that a forum like reddit provides its users, because that user base actually consists of law grads and lawyers that have career experience (or lack thereof, and are jaded as a result). If you haven't already, spend some time talking with recent (like last 5 years) law grads. Again, I mean no offense. Lastly, I'd think you'd need 6 months minimum, so August at the earliest. Best of luck to you.

Well, I do work a great job and I love helping people, however because I came from a low income background, I was pushed towards nursing. I want to work human rights or civil rights, I do not mind the potential pay cut if I am truly doing what I want to help people not because people think its best for me because it is stable.

And my piece of advice for anyone in your life who decides to become a nurse for the stability or paycheck, I would question them if that is their only reason. You get pissed on, vomited on and sometimes attacked by the same people you are trying to take care of, but I still left every shift with the feeling that I made an impact and helped people. I just think that my help is not of a great impact that I want it to be, hence why I going towards law.

• LizlizzyorlizLizlizzyorliz Member
    13 karma

@eriksisrael said:
    Fellow nurse here (traveler). I'm taking June having been studying since November, and that's only because I just cancelled my current contract to take the next 4 months off to solely focus on this. It's so difficult to maintain focus and momentum when we work the way we do. I would recommend August regardless of your goals, because you deserve to do the best you can. If you do have to work the whole time- pace yourself.

Thank you! I really appreciate your kind words. I am doing the august route!