Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online RC Strategies

Power_liftPower_lift Free Trial Member
edited February 2021 in Reading Comprehension 5 karma

With the digital format, what are your strategies for taking notes or highlighting for the RC section. I have been trying to write down the parts that I think are the main points or a word or two for support but it feels like I am wasting time and its taking too long. I'd like to hear other's strategies to try out.

Comments

• CardsnHogzCardsnHogz Alum Member
    edited February 2021 168 karma

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/26560/my-guide-to-reading-comprehension-part-1-long-ish-post

This has an entirely different perspective of what I have on highlighting that may be useful and was posted in another thread by @hsiyad22

As for me, I'm at -4 to -6 RC right now down from -15ish so take this for what it's worth. I write a quick sentence out about each paragraph for reference. But I never even refer back to the writing. It's so sloppy and quickly written sometimes I couldn't read it if I tried. Like you, I felt it was wasting my time.

But it serves as accountability for me to not daze out while reading a paragraph if I know that I have to write about it within literally the next 30-45 seconds. (Apparently, the questions I have to answer are not enough to hold me accountable haha). For me, I really have to do that to stay focused. Maybe that isn't for you? It probably takes me 30 seconds each passage total. It's worth it for me. Ask yourself if you are getting an equivalent or better value in retaining what you read by writing it versus the time you've spent. Maybe it doesn't help you at all or maybe it does. If it does, maybe recognizing that it does have value for you could help change your mindset from it feeling like a waste? Or maybe it is a waste!

I highlight Names the first time they are introduced....or when a previously mentioned name is brought up again but the passage has shifted from what it was discussing on the initial introduction of that name. And that's it. Basically just names. Otherwise I'd highlight everything.

I would have highlighted a unique word if I thought they may ask a question about how/why they used it but now we have control+f.