Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Diagnostic/BR

garrett_proctorgarrett_proctor Core Member
in General 72 karma

Hey everyone, I just took my first diagnostic and did blind review after. I only scored a 143 on the diagnostic and a 150 on BR. I've only been studying the material for about a week and a half. Is 150 theoretically going to be my ceiling? I'm hoping to score 155 or better and I'm a little discouraged.

Also, I took a kaplan course when I was in college (nearly two years ago). It was terrible and I definitely lacked the drive to study as a result. I haven't touched LSAT material in over a year and a half so I'm essentially starting from scratch. If any of you have any tips I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

Comments

• edited March 2021 1050 karma

150 is definitely not your ceiling. This is how I personally think of the two scores:

Blind Review Score: A reflection of your foundation. This can change, and will dramatically if you study really hard. This test is 100% doable untimed, which is essentially what you're doing on BR. The more you learn as you start going through the CC the more that score will go up. This comes from learning the logic needed for the exam, and learning how to attack the questions. Do lots and lots of in-depth question analysis.

Timed Score: Simply a reflection of how your foundational skills perform under pressure. There are plenty of strategies to get better at timing, but that's for way later after you have a really solid understanding of the test.

I would see these scores as simply a jumping off point. It just gauges where you are at this moment, but that is not a permanent state. This test is a long road, but study hard and you will see improvements. Don't be afraid to shift your expectations if things are taking longer than you expect, and don't hesitate to try different methods if you feel like something isn't working for you. What works for how one person sees a particular question type or the sufficient assumption, for example, may not be what works for you. Lastly, and most importantly, take breaks if you're feeling burned out. If your eyes start to glaze over, take a nap, go outside, read a book.

Good luck!

• garrett_proctorgarrett_proctor Core Member
    72 karma

Thanks for taking the time to respond! Definitely makes me feel better.