Shocked

All I can say is I am very shocked. I applied to all my schools back in September, right when apps opened. I pretty much got into the schools I thought and was waitlisted at the reaches and rejected at a super reach. Except one school that I had as a safety. The 7Sage predictor had me at a 99% chance for admittance. I was first offered a waitlist spot just a week after I originally applied- which I found strange. My GPA was over .5 higher than their 75th percentile and my LSAT was at the 50th. I hadn't heard back from them so I emailed last week and sent them updated grades. I told them I was already accepted into several schools and that I was very interested still. I was really hoping for a big scholarship offer. Disclaimer: I have already decided where I'm going with a deposit but always want to keep opportunities opened. They emailed back and said they would review my application if I wanted. Ummm duh I want you to review it, why do I have to email to have that done? At this point I was pretty pissed off and decided it wouldn't work anyways. They told me I would have a decision in 2-3 days. 8 days later, I get an email that a final decision was rendered...I got rejected. I almost laughed out loud. Out of every school I applied to, this was pretty much my lowest safety. I am in no way mad, because in reality I was not going to go there unless they were giving me a full ride and a Tesla. Does anyone else find this scenario strange? Not just the decision rendered but the way admissions handled everything? I've checked Law School Data and based on the admitted students on there, I would have the highest GPA and top 8 LSAT. There is nothing weird or red flags on my application. Could they just be yield protecting since they knew I got into much better schools? Any insight would be nice.

Comments

• JDream2025JDream2025 Alum Member
    990 karma

I’m right there with you. I applied to a school yesterday morning and last night at 10 pm I get a decision; denied. They went through my application in less than 24 hours and handed me a rejection. I was speechless. What the f was that?

• aszane21aszane21 Member
    350 karma

No one loves that this happens but its yield protection. They didn't think you were seriously considering them (even though you were sending grades which should've indicated interest) so they went with someone who they judged to be more likely to attend.

Also, JDream, that's not surprising since you applied so late in the cycle. The school probably already filled all its seats

• JDream2025JDream2025 Alum Member
    990 karma

@aszane21 said:
    No one loves that this happens but its yield protection. They didn't think you were seriously considering them (even though you were sending grades which should've indicated interest) so they went with someone who they judged to be more likely to attend.

Also, JDream, that's not surprising since you applied so late in the cycle. The school probably already filled all its seats

I guess that makes sense. :/

• nnnnnnzzzznnnnnnzzzz Member
    177 karma

This is why yield protection exists. Can't outsmart them especially when they have reviewed multiple applicants for many years when most people only experience the law school admission process once or twice.

• TimeIsMoneyTimeIsMoney Member
    495 karma

Thanks guys. Makes sense. They definitely knew what i was thinking but i'm not sure how lol. Kind of an insult they didn't consider me at the beginning of the cycle. It is definitely a school that if i would have gotten a decent offer, I would have atleast went on a visit with an open mind. Seems like yield protecting just deters solid candidates, but whatever they want to do.

• J.A. BettigJ.A. Bettig Alum Member
    105 karma

If you are at their 50th LSAT percentile, I would hardly call it a safety, especially not in this cycle. Also, YP would explain the WL, but not the subsequent rejection. I apologize if this sounds mean, but this post comes off as very entitled. Is there any chance you took that tone when communicating with their adcom?

495 karma

@"J.A. Bettig" said:
    If you are at their 50th LSAT percentile, I would hardly call it a safety, especially not in this cycle. Also, YP would explain the WL, but not the subsequent rejection. I apologize if this sounds mean, but this post comes off as very entitled. Is there any chance you took that tone when communicating with their adcom?

Sorry, didn't mean to sound entitled at all, did not want to come off that way. I am just frustrated. This cycle has been crazy. And no i did not have any sort of tone when i emailed them. I just sent them a LOCI and updated grades and said i was very interested still. I was just basing this off the 99% chances 7Sage said i had which would make it a safety. and thought it was strange that i got rejected. Yeah LSAT at the 50th isn't a gimme by any means but i just feel like this school never even considered my application. I had been communicating with this school before i even applied. I think my level of interest was pretty obvious and they told me they looked forward to my application (they already knew my GPA and LSAT). I don't know, just needed to vent my stress some. I am in no way entitled, I am so grateful for the offers i was given.

• legallybreelegallybree Live Member
    32 karma

Overall, how accurate would you say the 7sage Law School Predictor is?

• UCLApleaseUCLAplease Member
    281 karma

@JDream2020 said:
    I’m right there with you. I applied to a school yesterday morning and last night at 10 pm I get a decision; denied. They went through my application in less than 24 hours and handed me a rejection. I was speechless. What the f was that?

Whoa. Which school was this?

495 karma

@bryahrichson said:
    Overall, how accurate would you say the 7sage Law School Predictor is?

Well for the most part pretty accurate. Except for this one school i have been talking about. Every school i had over an 70% chance (3) i got in. I got in another school with a 60% chance and got waitlisted at 64% and 40%. Denied at a school with 65% and 20% and 99%. Take my results with a grain of salt, I am a reverse splitter. Only one i was pretty shocked about was the 99%. I think this cycle, the predictor was quite different because this cycle seems to be much more competitive.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@TimeIsMoney I've been thinking about this and don't have confirmation, nor have I dived deeply into law school numbers, but my guess is that reverse splitters faired better than usual this year and also probably better than splitters given the number of high LSAT scores. I think hitting about where the predictor said you would is impressive indeed when the predictor was created before the wave of extra applications and high LSATs. Glad things worked out well for you.

• SufficientConditionSufficientCondition Alum Member
    edited March 2021 311 karma

@TimeIsMoney said:
    All I can say is I am very shocked. I applied to all my schools back in September, right when apps opened. I pretty much got into the schools I thought and was waitlisted at the reaches and rejected at a super reach. Except one school that I had as a safety. The 7Sage predictor had me at a 99% chance for admittance. I was first offered a waitlist spot just a week after I originally applied- which I found strange. My GPA was over .5 higher than their 75th percentile and my LSAT was at the 50th. I hadn't heard back from them so I emailed last week and sent them updated grades. I told them I was already accepted into several schools and that I was very interested still. I was really hoping for a big scholarship offer. Disclaimer: I have already decided where I'm going with a deposit but always want to keep opportunities opened. They emailed back and said they would review my application if I wanted. Ummm duh I want you to review it, why do I have to email to have that done? At this point I was pretty pissed off and decided it wouldn't work anyways. They told me I would have a decision in 2-3 days. 8 days later, I get an email that a final decision was rendered...I got rejected. I almost laughed out loud. Out of every school I applied to, this was pretty much my lowest safety. I am in no way mad, because in reality I was not going to go there unless they were giving me a full ride and a Tesla. Does anyone else find this scenario strange? Not just the decision rendered but the way admissions handled everything? I've checked Law School Data and based on the admitted students on there, I would have the highest GPA and top 8 LSAT. There is nothing weird or red flags on my application. Could they just be yield protecting since they knew I got into much better schools? Any insight would be nice.

They must have determined that you wouldn't get anything out of an acceptance. I think @VerdantZephyr has the right advice for you, here. I encourage you to be grateful that the cycle went well. I wouldn't presume that a given admissions committee should definitely admit me, no matter how low they may be on my personal list.

495 karma

@SufficientCondition said:

@TimeIsMoney said:

They must have determined that you wouldn't get anything out of an acceptance. I think @VerdantZephyr has the right advice for you, here. I encourage you to be grateful that the cycle went well. I wouldn't presume that a given admissions committee should definitely admit me, no matter how low they may be on my personal list.

Yes you are right. I just was frustrated because originally that school was high on my list but it slowly fell as i never got a decision until now. No big deal, just wanted to share my experience with everyone. I am so blessed and grateful for my offers and look forward to starting my law career!