Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grouping or Chart stimulus Cue

MaxsimilMaxsimil Member
in Logic Games 64 karma

Hello , Is there wording that I should look for in the stimulus that lets me know when to use grouping or chart techniques ? During PT85 I initially drew a game as a chart only later to recover and find out that It would be much suitable as a grouping game. I would like to avoid this error in the future any guidance is welcomed !

Comments

• 120_or_bust120_or_bust Core Member
    edited March 2021 124 karma

I just did a PT in the 70s (the flower bouquet one) which JY suggested that one of the main ways to figure out if a Chart is better is whether the game pieces can repeat.

Can repeat = Use chart

• Jahn.SnowJahn.Snow Member
    316 karma

^ I second that! Also, when doing problem sets you can see that the games that use a chart are noted as "GroupRep" for group repeat. Grouping basic is the tag for a grouping game with the chart technique. If you want to practice a few games with each tag, that might give you a deeper understanding on how to differentiate quickly- it's what helped me.

• kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
    1687 karma

Hello @7sajuicez
    the comments above are correct. I'd like to add that between grouping and grouping repeating they could be identical except for the part about the pieces themselves. So both games normally start out the same: here are 3 categories(groups) and here are the game pieces that need to be sorted into the groups, however grouping repeating games there will be a subtle like, "each piece can be used in each group and each piece is use at least once". This would indicate that the game pieces are not one and done, but rather they can be used multiple times across every group.

• MaxsimilMaxsimil Member
    64 karma

Thank you all 😀

• Jordan JohnsonJordan Johnson Member
    686 karma

@7sajuicez Keep in mind that using a chart vs setting up something as a grouping game is dependent on which is easier for you -- there's no real 'right or wrong' way to set up a game.

For instance, when I took PT 49, Game 2 recently, I set it up as a 'chart' and it worked just fine. Then I saw that in JY's explanation, he set it up a a grouping game. I tried redoing it that way, but for that particular problem, the 'chart' was more intuitive for me.