Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is There Anything I Can Do Besides Diagram the LG Section

Rayne113Rayne113 Member
in Logic Games 7 karma

The background here is that I have a significant math-based disability that boils down to not being very good at reading graphs. My RC and LR sections are fine- mostly -4- but even with extra time I am struggling to get a single Game right. Is anything I can do besides bang my head against the wall?? Does anyone have a non-visual method of doing this? Or do I just need to focus on the other two sections perfect and consider this a wash. I need a 160 and I am currently around 156 if I manage to get a single game.

Comments

• tahurrrrrtahurrrrr Member
    1106 karma

Do you mind if I ask a few clarifying questions? I want to help if possible, but have no experience with this problem.

You said you're not good with graphs. Does that include charts?
    How are you with numbers in general?
    If you're fine with the logical reasoning section, how do you go about the questions? can you use the arrows and conditional logic statements?
    Do the rules given in the logic games make sense to you, and you just can't effectively apply them because of your disability?

I know some of the questions can definitely be done non-visually, but if I know more (and nobody else who actually experiences this answers you) I may be able to come up with something.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8486 karma

The few people I've seen who can do games well without diagramming are still visualizing partial setups spatially in their head. More where pieces are in relationship to each other than where they are on a board, but it's still very "visual." Games commonly feel like the most "impossible" section at first. I'd be glad to see if I can help... hit me on DM if interested.

• Rayne113Rayne113 Member
    7 karma

Sure. I can copy the graphs and charts from the guide but once I look at them, I can't like "translate" them back to the questions. I am terrible with both numbers and directions (ability to tell left from right very quickly). Mainly, I think that I can't make very good inferences from the graphs so I get tripped up trying to eliminate things. It's sort of hard to explain- I copy the rules, set up the board and then, oh look letters and numbers.

• McBeck418McBeck418 Member
    edited April 2021 500 karma

I don't know if this is at all helpful, but do you just not connect with the material once you've simplified it? Like translating Ryan, Tammy, and Steve into R T S loses its meaning to you?

Would just leaving them as names of people and drawing like a stick figure help connect them back to their meaning? You could still diagram them based on a general game set up, but the pieces might retain some of their meaning, so it's not just like looking at random letters and numbers.

Or maybe being more specific in your labeling of the actual board. Use actual words that mean something to you to keep it all in context. Like instead of just writing out 1 2 3 4 for a sequence game based on time, actually write out 1pm, 2pm 3pm, etc.

I always have to label my boards when they say east or west, best or worst, to the left/right of. I don't really produce inner pictures so spatial things are really hard for me. I have to write things out specifically in order to see them. Maybe having visual cues can help you as well.