Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to understand the "Timing" bar in Question Performance?

jacuzzzijacuzzzi Member
edited April 2021 in General 50 karma

Hi everyone, is there a section of this site that explains how to actually interpret the data in the Question Performance section. In particular, I am trying to decipher the "timing" bar. I like to hover over it and compare my time to the target time, but I would like to better understand why it is sometimes green/red and what the different letters over the bar indicate (how long I spent debating that answer?). Thanks for your #help!

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8460 karma

Red indicates where you've selected a wrong answer. Green is where you've selected the correct answer. The length of the colored area shows how long you were on the question with either no answer (gray), or the right/wrong answer selected as indicated by the letters.

Particularly valuable (well... all the data is valuable) to see how long your lag time is, in other words how long you stayed on a question after selecting the right answer.

• Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    edited April 2021 5740 karma

Hi @jacuzzzi,

Further to @canihazJD helpful comment, I would also like to clarify that having Round 1, Round 2, and Round 3 indicates that a student viewed the same question 3 times, and adding them up gives the Total time.

For example, in the image I'm showing here. The student encountered Q1 initially and spent 9 seconds on it. Skipped and moved onto another question. Then returned to Q1 at a later point and spent another 3 seconds on it (Round 2). Skipped again and moved onto another question. Then returned again to Q1 and spent another 2 seconds on it (Round 3).

Of course, the timing isn't realistic since I made this as an example to demonstrate what the different rounds mean. I hope that makes sense!

The system calculates your target time based on collected data from top scorers and your actual time. However, the target time may have been missing on some questions because the system doesn't have enough data yet to generate a "target time".

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any further questions.

• jacuzzzijacuzzzi Member
    50 karma

Thank you so much Juliet and canihazJD! Very cool feature. So, to be sure, I can't tell exactly how many seconds I stayed on a problem after answering it, but I can roughly approximate it by seeing how long the green (or red) bar is compared to my total time on the question?

• Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    edited April 2021 5740 karma

@jacuzzzi said:
    Thank you so much Juliet and canihazJD! Very cool feature. So, to be sure, I can't tell exactly how many seconds I stayed on a problem after answering it, but I can roughly approximate it by seeing how long the green (or red) bar is compared to my total time on the question?

Hi there,

You're welcome!

To clarify, the total time you spent on the question is indicated by the numbers to the left of the timing bar. For example, in the screenshot below, the student spent one minute and 10 seconds on the first question and chose the correct answer D.

If you hover over the timing bar, you would see a breakdown of how much time you spent on the question. For example, if you viewed the first question, then moved to another question, and later return to the first question, you would see a breakdown of how much time you spent each time you viewed the question. This is indicated as Round 1, Round 2 and Round 3. Each Round will then be added up to give you your total time. In the screenshot below, the student spent point zero nine seconds on the first Round of viewing Question 1.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.