Gap Closure - Raw Score: 150 ; BR Score: 171

axbSunDevaxbSunDev Member
in General 256 karma

Hi Y'all !

So as you can see I have a pretty big gap between my raw scores (Pt 40 - 147) and (Pt 41 - 150) and my latest BR score of 171. What are some helpful tips to close this Gap? My biggest problem is of course timing, whenever I am timed the anxiety and nervousness kicks in and comprehension drops. The LSAT is not friendly to those who have been slow readers their whole life. If you're on my boat, I know you feel my pain.

Thanks 7Sage!

Comments

• mindlikewatermindlikewater Member
    42 karma

We face the same hurdle. From what I gather, it just takes time (cliche answer), but it's also super important to keep a positive attitude toward the test -- literally talk back to whatever negative thought is causing anxiety, e.g., for RC you might tell yourself, "I'm excited to learn about something new/something possibly from a different perspective than I'd considered." For LR, you might reframe yourself as a detective solving crimes of faulty reasoning presented in each stimulus. You mentioned slow reading as a challenge; I'm right there with you. For RC, succinct (sometime copious yet organized) annotation seems to work for me; test prep calls it "tracking viewpoints & information." I'm still trying to find efficiency, but when I've done it, it takes me to near perfection on a passage. I'm only getting 3/4 done under timed conditions to give you an idea. As it pertains to LR, the skill that 7Sage teaches right up front--namely reading for the subject and predicate, and identifying the conclusion (by rearranging info in the stimulus to verify if necessary)--has helped increase my own comfort with parsing blocks of text without feeling like I'm missing the point. If you can do this, you start to notice how much fluff there is. To be honest, I don't read every word of the stimulus first. I look at the question briefly to see what the test makers want me to do, then break down what is being argued. With games, it's all about the rules and deductions; there are only so many variations and ways to arrange a fixed number of items; you just get better at recognizing the setup by practicing them over and over -- even old ones you've done before -- and watching various videos to see how others approach them. Often there is a key deduction. Hope this helps! Take your time. Meditate! Stay strong!

• axbSunDevaxbSunDev Member
    256 karma

@mindlikewater said:
    We face the same hurdle. From what I gather, it just takes time (cliche answer), but it's also super important to keep a positive attitude toward the test -- literally talk back to whatever negative thought is causing anxiety, e.g., for RC you might tell yourself, "I'm excited to learn about something new/something possibly from a different perspective than I'd considered." For LR, you might reframe yourself as a detective solving crimes of faulty reasoning presented in each stimulus. You mentioned slow reading as a challenge; I'm right there with you. For RC, succinct (sometime copious yet organized) annotation seems to work for me; test prep calls it "tracking viewpoints & information." I'm still trying to find efficiency, but when I've done it, it takes me to near perfection on a passage. I'm only getting 3/4 done under timed conditions to give you an idea. As it pertains to LR, the skill that 7Sage teaches right up front--namely reading for the subject and predicate, and identifying the conclusion (by rearranging info in the stimulus to verify if necessary)--has helped increase my own comfort with parsing blocks of text without feeling like I'm missing the point. If you can do this, you start to notice how much fluff there is. To be honest, I don't read every word of the stimulus first. I look at the question briefly to see what the test makers want me to do, then break down what is being argued. With games, it's all about the rules and deductions; there are only so many variations and ways to arrange a fixed number of items; you just get better at recognizing the setup by practicing them over and over -- even old ones you've done before -- and watching various videos to see how others approach them. Often there is a key deduction. Hope this helps! Take your time. Meditate! Stay strong!

This is awesome, thank you so much!