PT28.S1.Q23 - Clinical depression

MambaMentality93MambaMentality93 Live Member
edited April 2021 in Logical Reasoning 503 karma

Hello folks,

I have a quick question for you concerning this Weakening Except question. I understand why A is right, and I always pick A when I come across this question. But I'm trying to have a solid understanding of why other ACs are wrong, and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around E.
Social interaction interaction of the kind not engaged in by depressed people is known to stimulate left lobe activity. Isn't it somewhat consistent with the stimulus that states that depressed people don't have much left lobe activity? I see a link depressed leads to no social interaction (as it is a result of depression), which leads to poor left lobe activity.
I know E is supposed to weaken the argument, so I'm trying to see how it does it to not be tempted by the wrong answer in a similar question.

Thank you,
KTC
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-28-section-1-question-23/

Comments

• edited April 2021 1050 karma

Yeah this is confusing. Here's my shot at it:

If the conclusion is that lobe activity dictates your mental state, ( A causes C ) E is saying that C (social activity) causes A, and B is just kind of a correlated factor.

So, most people who aren't clinically depressed tend to engage in social activities and those activities increase lobe activity. People who are already clinically depressed don't do these activities, which means there will be the absence of stimulation. It's essentially just saying: Lobe activity can be caused by other things, and it doesn't dictate your mental state.

• MambaMentality93MambaMentality93 Live Member
    503 karma

Thanks so much!!!