Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diversity Statement Dilemma

This questions is brief but seems complicated in my mind. I am intending to write a diversity statement for schools that require/offer the opportunity. In it, I plan to write about various diversifying characteristics of my life, including that my father suffers from schizophrenia -- and remains unmedicated. If the admissions faculty member that reviews this statement knows anything about schizophrenia, then they understand that its onset is typically in your early 20s (my age). I am worried that revealing this information might worry the law school personnel that this might happen while I am in law school. Do the risks outweigh the benefits here?

Do the risks outweigh the benefits here?
  1. Do the risks outweigh the benefits here?7 votes
    1. Yes
      42.86%
    2. No
      57.14%

Comments

• nnnnnnzzzznnnnnnzzzz Member
    177 karma

Are you saying that the risk of you getting schizophrenia may affect the decision of adcom to admit you? For sure they don't reject you based on this reason alone. Unless you specifically tell them that you are having schizophrenia and refuse to medicate or something to that effect. Hmmm

• Bengy1906Bengy1906 Core Member
    23 karma

I wholeheartedly understand your question. And there's this lady on FB who is a former admissions member by the name of Akiesha Anderson. She would be a great person to ask this.

• edited May 2021 55 karma

I can relate. I too have a parent who suffers from this disorder and is only now (in her late 50's) getting the proper help. I will be revealing this in my statement as well as it has greatly impacted my life and contributed to who I have become. I am over 30 though so I have less fear of developing the disorder than in my 20's, which at that time plagued me. I understand your concern but feel that the fact that you made it this far while dealing with an ailing parent is a tremendous accomplishment and worth noting. Good luck I hope this helped. If you ever need to talk I am available davitvaemanuel@gmail.com and understand first hand what it is like to have a parent with this disorder.