PT55.S3.Q25 - The mathematics department at our university has...

danchoi123danchoi123 Member
edited May 2021 in Logical Reasoning 17 karma

What type of flaw is this?

Dean: The mathematics department at our university has said that it should be given the sole responsibility for teaching the course Social Sciences.

Correct Answer choice B:
"purports to refute a view by showing that one possible reason for that view is insufficient"

Wording is a bit hard for me to understand. What type of flaw is this?

edit:
I got rid of C, D, E and chose A between A & B:
"presumes, without providing justification, that expertise in a subject does not enable one to teach that subject well"

I think the key deduction I should have made was that for A, the stimulus/argument does not talk about a subject being taught "well". So this should have clicked for me as a flaw that is out of scope.

Admin note: edited title; please use the format of "PT#.S#.Q# - [brief description of question]"
I deleted the rest of the stim because it is against our Forum Rules to post LSAT question verbatim on the Forum
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-55-section-3-question-25/

Comments

• Kris4444Kris4444 Member
    266 karma

The flaw is "confusing one possible solution for the only solution". The premise is that the course doesn't NEED to be taught by a maths professor. Then we jump to the conclusion that the department is unjustified in making it taught by a maths professor. Basically, from the premises we can only conclude that there are other options. We can't justify eliminating certain options solely from the fact that other options exist. A is wrong simply because it doesn't point out this flaw.

Parallel argument: My mom interrupted my video game to make me take out the trash. But my sister was on the couch watching TV at the time. Since my mom could have just as easily interrupted my sister to take out the trash, it was wrong of her to make me do it.

Like you said, there's nothing about who can do it "well". The options are me and my sister. There's nothing in the premises to suggest who is better suited for the job, so there is no justification for concluding whether or not an option should be eliminated.

Hope that helps!

• danchoi123danchoi123 Member
    edited May 2021 17 karma

Your explanation makes sense. Thank you for your insight!