Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am unwell!!!! Do I postpone?

scromwell19scromwell19 Core Member
edited May 2021 in General 12 karma

Hello & happy studying to all,

I am feeling quite anxious as the June test is approaching and hoping someone can offer me some sound advice. I started studying in February of this year and my plan was to take the June and August LSAT so that I can apply to law school in early September. As I heard from many to apply as early as you can.

To give you some background I started off with a low diagnostic of 141 (yikes). I have been studying consistently each week and have seen improvement (my highest PT being a 156). I am proud of this improvement as I am not the best test taker but I ideally I would like to be in the 160s. In addition, my score has been fluctuating (7 points) and I would like to see more consistency. I am confident that come August I will be able to bridge this gap.

The reason I would like to take the LSAT now is to get one under my belt so that by August I am ready to go and that by end of September all of my applications are submitted. I feel like I am playing with a double edge sword... is it better to wait and take the LSAT in August and then again in October or is it better to apply as early as I can with the June and then the August LSAT. Note- I would like to take the exam twice as I have test anxiety and I know that I will feel more confident the second time around.

If I apply to schools in September but take the October LSAT I hear that my application will be put on hold and they wont review until they receive my final score. Does applying in early September vs mid November have that much of a difference?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and hopefully someone can help.

Comments

• FloridaManFloridaMan Core Member
    139 karma

If you look at 7sage's law school admissions predictor, you can see that applying in October vs in November increases your chances by about 3-4%. It really depends if you think you can get a better score on the October LSAT to make up for the 3-4% chance decrease in admissions. Although, I'm no expert, this is just my take on the matter. From my personal experience, I would not take the LSAT unless you feel confident and ready. I (stupidly) took the LSAT without taking any practice tests. I got a 146 and it crushed me. My highest PT now is 166 and I am hoping to take the August LSAT with a goal score of 170+.

• sarahblairsarahblair Core Member
    604 karma

Hi! I agree with FloridaMan about how I think it is valuable to apply as soon as you can (especially if you're looking at more competitive schools). Regardless, don't be put off by your score and your diagnostic, you're doing great! Anyway, I think it is important to consider how much paying for the test factors into this. If you were planning to take both June and August anyways, and you think you can get there for sure by August but still want to test out the June one, just take both! Especially if you're doing so just for the sake of experience and for test anxiety- totally understandable. I personally am taking the June one and REALLY am hoping to be done for the summer but if not, August is right there waiting. You could also purchase the first time test taker score cancellation (for ~$45 I believe) on LSAC and then you won't have to worry if you happen to score lower than planned in June. You can just focus on August! From this way, I don't really see how you'd have anything to lose by taking it in June.

• scromwell19scromwell19 Core Member
    12 karma

I cant thank you both enough for your thoughtful comments. I appreciate the advice.

• 269 karma

Hey! I suffer from anxiety generally, so I can provide some insight on how I've navigated scheduling the exam and dealt with test-anxiety.

First, it's my understanding that the earliest you can apply for most schools is October. That said, you have the June, August, and October exam available to take before you apply. An application submitted a month later with a higher score will most likely be stronger than an early application with a weaker score. Play around with the Admissions Predictor as suggested earlier.

In any case, what has helped my anxiety the most is being flexible with the scheduling process. If you tell yourself, "I MUST MEET MY GOAL THE FIRST TIME I TAKE THE TEST. THEN I WILL IMMEDIATELY BEGIN THE APPLICAITON PROCESS THEREAFTER", you'll likely sit for the first exam stricken by intense panic. Every question will feel like it's determining your future. That was the case for me, at least. And boyyyyyyyy, did it affect my performance. I was averaging 168, but scored a 163.

So, why do we get anxious? Because we're worried we're going to fail. Okay, then assume you're going to fail - because it's okay if you do. The LSAT is hard as hell. But the important part is that you have plenty of other opportunities to redeem yourself. By taking the pressure off of yourself and by not committing yourself to a perfect performance the first time you take the test, you're setting realistic expectations that mitigate anxious thoughts. "What if I fail?" You'll take it again. You'll be better prepared next time. You'll know what to expect now. Etc.

My goal is to take the June exam. If I have another episode of unfettered anxiety and it affects my performance, I'll take the August exam. If all else fails, I'll take the October exam before I submit early applications. Creating contingency plans is a great way to ease anxiety.

My recommendation to you is to take the June exam just to get a feel for it. No matter how practice tests you've taken, it will feel alien to some degree. Assume you'll have to take the August exam and go back to a regular study schedule after a few days off. Really focus on your weaknesses. Then you'll be all set for the next exam!

• scromwell19scromwell19 Core Member
    12 karma

Thank you so much. I could not agree more. I work best with contingency plans :smiley: