Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some and Most

bananabacabananabaca Member
edited June 2021 in Logical Reasoning 41 karma

You can do:
P: A some B
C: A most B

But you cannot do:
P: A most B
C: A some B

Is this right? Some includes most, which is why in the first example it is correct, but most does not include some, hence why the second example is false correct? For specific reference, I was confused on PT 42, Section 4, Number 22 which is why I had this question.

anything would help! THANKS!

help #help

Comments

• Glutton for the LSATGlutton for the LSAT Alum Member
    551 karma

I think you have this a bit backwards: "All" implies "most" which implies "some."

Recall that "some" just means "at least one."

• Slow is FastSlow is Fast Alum Member
    edited June 2021 445 karma

Yes, I second what @"Glutton for the LSAT" has said with you having mixed up what you can/cannot do. I also wanted to add that I recently read something on this relationship that really helped nail down the inferences you are able to draw validly with these words. It's essentially the same as what previous poster has said, but in a different presentation. (I'm a visual learner, so drawing this out on paper was helpful.)

Think of them as a hierarchy/ladder and inferences flow top-down:
    ALL
    MOST
    SOME

All encompasses Most and Some. It's at the top and is the most "powerful." This means from an All statement, you can take a step down and infer a Most statement. You can also take another step down and infer a Some statement.
    (For example, you are given the statement "All apples are fruits." You could technically also say "Most apples are fruits," and still be correct. You can also say "Some apples are fruits.")

Most encompasses Some. It's in the middle, so not the most powerful but still something. This means from a Most statement, you can take a step down and infer a Some statement.
    (Example: Given "Most apples are fruits." You could also say, "Some apples are fruits," and this is also still correct.)

Some does not encompass any other term. It's kind of weak and this means that you cannot infer any other information from a Some statement other than interchangeability. You can only stay on that same level. Flipping the items in the Some statement doesn't move you up or down.
    (For example: Given "Some apples are fruits," means you can also say, "some fruits are apples"...but that's it.)

Alternatively, if you want to read the structure from bottom to top, you could think of Some as the bare-minimum foundation.

Given"All apples are fruits."/ "Most apples are fruits." At the barest minimum, you have to have at least one (aka Some) apple that is a fruit.

• bananabacabananabaca Member
    41 karma

@"Slow is Fast" thank you!

• Slow is FastSlow is Fast Alum Member
    445 karma

Happy to help!