Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retake a 171?

slxyzvvv-1slxyzvvv-1 Member
edited July 2021 in Law School Admissions 120 karma

I got my June LSAT Flex score back and it was 171. I'm not sure whether I should retake in October. This was my second take. I was pting in about 170, but in blind review I could get to about 175 (the best one was 177). I'm in a top10 liberal arts college with a gpa of 3.87. My softs are average or perhaps below average— I'm an international student and have been outside of the US for more than a year due to COVID 19, so I was only able to get an internship in my homeland which I know would lack credibility to most US law schools. Aiming at t8 law schools, and the best choice would by NYU or Columbia.
I'm aware that a better score is always preferable. The reasons holding me back from retaking are 1) I'm now taking a gap semester, but I will be back in school next semester. I'm not sure if I have time to prepare for another LSAT in October. 2) The October LSAT-Flex will have four sections, but I've never practiced a four-section-LSAT before. I don't know if that makes the test harder. 3) If I'm going to retake I probably won't be doing any internship this summer but instead would focus on LSAT and other application materials. Not sure if it's worth sacrificing my summer internship.
Do you guys have any thoughts on this? What are my chances with my current score? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• csharm002csharm002 Member
    352 karma

Hi! So first, congrats on such a great score! I also think it's a huge accomplishment to score above your average PT score, so give yourself a pat on the back. I'm in no position to tell you what to do, but after listening to the 7sage podcast on admissions, it's kind of a questionable move to give up an internship/job and solely study for the LSAT because it leaves a gap on your resume. Even if you think the internships won't hold as much weight because they're outside the U.S., it's still work experience! Experience is experience whether it's prestigious or not. Additionally, your GPA is quite high and you've broken into the 170s. Just from the information you've given here, you already sound quite unique. I'd keep the 170 and go with the internship!

• slxyzvvv-1slxyzvvv-1 Member
    120 karma

@csharm002 Thank you for your comments! It's really encouraging. I think you're right— I've decided to go for the internship. I'll wait until September to see if I feel ready for another take of LSAT.