Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Career path after graduating from law school without funding from parents

Webby_SongdoWebby_Songdo Alum Member
in General 677 karma

Dear all,

How are we doing? I was just wondering what kind of career options is desirable for those who need to pay back law school tuition loan post-graduation. I am planning to go to T-14 law schools, preferably T-3. If I do not get into T-3, I intend to go to a T-14 law school that offers the most generous scholarship. Obviously, I will need to do well on the LSAT. However, I am just curious of whether how you all are planning on paying back the loan. My anticipation is that if we attend one of T-3 law schools, which do not offer any scholarship, we are allotted 200,000+ USD as a loan. Is it safe to say that we try to get a big law job? Or, do we just go for a job that suits the best of one another's interest (which is teaching for me)? My parents only funded for my education up until college years, and I have 50,000 USD as a debt to pay back to my parents for my master’s degree tuition. In other words, I would need to repay about 250,000 USD as a loan for my acquisition of graduate education (JD, MA). I am unsure of which career route I should research into to make my education business fruitful while efficient. Could you please share your insight with this?

Best,
Ken

Comments

• MissionLsatMissionLsat Member
    379 karma

If your stats stats are good enough to land you at HYS then I beleive, they would be good enough to get you around 50 percent of the scholarshp from the rest of T14s. So if high debt makes you feel stressed then go for the lower T14s. You would be having much more freedom. And in this argument I am assuming that you would be getting an LSAT score of 174 plus.

• Webby_SongdoWebby_Songdo Alum Member
    677 karma

@MissionLsat said:
    If your stats stats are good enough to land you at HYS then I beleive, they would be good enough to get you around 50 percent of the scholarshp from the rest of T14s. So if high debt makes you feel stressed then go for the lower T14s. You would be having much more freedom. And in this argument I am assuming that you would be getting an LSAT score of 174 plus.

OK. Thank you. I am aiming for anything above 176+ because that was what my last LSAT tutor scored and got accepted at HLS. I am dedicated full-time to studying for the LSAT with enough monthly expense to support myself; I don't have to pay rent, and I get a steady supply of $2,000-$3,000 per month working 13-15 hours per week.

• HoRangYiHoRangYi Member
    71 karma

Its 300k+ loan for law school when including the cost of living. (used to be 200k+)

• Mike_RossMike_Ross Alum Member Sage
    3106 karma

Hey there, debt is understandably of concern to many people. The best thing you can do to maximize your chances at this stage is getting the best LSAT score possible. I’ll also add that once you’re in the T14, unit biglaw prospects increase significantly. Speaking for HLS, it’s no problem getting a biglaw job paying market rate, if that’s what you’d like. If you decide on public interest, there are also loan forgiveness projects if you make below a threshold income for a period of 10 years.

• Webby_SongdoWebby_Songdo Alum Member
    677 karma

@Mike_Ross said:
    Hey there, debt is understandably of concern to many people. The best thing you can do to maximize your chances at this stage is getting the best LSAT score possible. I’ll also add that once you’re in the T14, unit biglaw prospects increase significantly. Speaking for HLS, it’s no problem getting a biglaw job paying market rate, if that’s what you’d like. If you decide on public interest, there are also loan forgiveness projects if you make below a threshold income for a period of 10 years.

wow ok. Thank you so much for giving a general direction. I will definitely research into this!