PT16.S2.Q8 - Because learned patters of behavior...

BlueRiceCakeBlueRiceCake Member
edited August 2021 in Logical Reasoning 302 karma

I don't get how this is the right answer. I'm aware the color red usually means stop and the color yellow usually means yield but why should I need to assume outside information like that to get this answer correct?

How am I supposed to know this from just the stimulus. Am I missing something?

Comments

• castronecastrone Member
    210 karma

I think the best way to realize that the correct answer is E without relying on any outside information is by focusing on the word "some." some, meaning not all, shows that the color convention Is not uniform thereby breaking the rule

• lsat_suslsat_sus Core Member
    1417 karma

But also it tells us that people associate "green" with "go." So "red" with "start" seems to contradict the "ingrained association" of the folks in question. I got this wrong, but that explanation helped explain it. oh, and fuck the lsat.

• 1050 karma

I agree with @lsat_sus. Since the stimulus mentions that associating green with go is an ingrained association, we can assume that red for a start button would be counter-intuitive.

Also, with the LSAT some outside information can be brought in. The writers to expect you to know some basic universal truths, and I personally think associating green with go and red with stop falls under that category.

• BlueRiceCakeBlueRiceCake Member
    302 karma

@castrone said:
    I think the best way to realize that the correct answer is E without relying on any outside information is by focusing on the word "some." some, meaning not all, shows that the color convention Is not uniform thereby breaking the rule

I don't think that's it because some doesnt necessarily mean not all. Some can include all within its range

302 karma

@lsat_sus said:
    But also it tells us that people associate "green" with "go." So "red" with "start" seems to contradict the "ingrained association" of the folks in question. I got this wrong, but that explanation helped explain it. oh, and fuck the lsat.

That sounds like it might be it.
    So the ingrained association expects us to understand that "go" and "start" are similar enough to be associated with green, which does make sense.

By a cactus

• castronecastrone Member
    210 karma

@BlueRiceCake how long have you been studying for the LSAT? Some cannot mean all, they will never assume that you think some means all, I’ve been studying w that assumption forever and I scored a 170+ in June, I’m fairly certain

• lsat_suslsat_sus Core Member
    1417 karma

@castrone damnnnn chief - big boi moves no cappa. You better make a post about your process or else u a bitch

302 karma

@castrone said:
    @BlueRiceCake how long have you been studying for the LSAT? Some cannot mean all, they will never assume that you think some means all, I’ve been studying w that assumption forever and I scored a 170+ in June, I’m fairly certain

Cool and some includes all.
    8:19

I've been studying 2 months Mid 160s and don't plan on taking the LSAT until next year.