Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Advice on Law School Future

kyletravelstead5kyletravelstead5 Free Trial Member
edited September 2021 in Law School Admissions 4 karma

I took the LSAT in August of this year and scored a 152. My dream school is UGA and the median LSAT is much higher at a 165. I have a 3.81 GPA which is good, but I am now faced with the decision of taking the November LSAT which is in 2 months, or taking a gap year and pushing off the test to have more time to prepare. I would love to not take a gap year, but I am not positive I could increase my score in that little of time. I previously spent 3 months preparing for the August LSAT and was disappointed but not surprised by my score. I have always been a poor standardized test taker but very successful in school. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Tristan GTristan G Member
    56 karma

There is no shame in being thoroughly prepared. A year gap to refine the skills necessary for the LSAT is likely to benefit you in the long run so far as law school goes. 3 months is not that much time to study for the LSAT, and if you know you can improve, you should take the time to do it. I am in a similar boat to an extent. My GPA was not quite so high as yours, but I scored a 156 after only a couple month's study myself. I know I can do better, having not even attempted one of the logic games on the section, and leaving unanswered questions on both that last game and the end of my reading comprehension section. I don't know the adverse effects of taking a gap year to study and prepare, but the benefits to your LSAT score would, in my personal opinion, be worth the time to get it right. Good luck on whichever decision you make.

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

I would say that you should prepare as best you can now, sign up for and plan to take November, but only take it if you are PTing around where you need to be score-wise, otherwise be prepared to withdraw and wait till next cycle.
    I was in a similar position to yours last year after a disappointing 155 in November (had only given myself 3-4 months to study after having been out of school for nearly 20 years), and made the difficult decision to wait a year. Now I am PTing in the mid-upper 160s and am in a much better place to get the score I need. This test is a lot less anxiety-provoking when you feel prepared, I promise!
    I highly recommend finding a study buddy or group, as that is one of the fastest ways, in my experience, to improve your understanding of the test. Ideally, you and your buddies will have different strengths and weaknesses, but nothing crystalizes your understanding like having to explain to someone else.
    Best of luck, I know it is a tough decision, but good on you for being willing to take the time you need!

• emmorensemmorens Core Member
    1470 karma

Speaking from experience I HIGHLY recommend the gap year.

I too didn't want to take a gap year so I rushed into taking the exam when I was underprepared. I actually would argue it hindered my studying because I was forced to cut corners rather than actually learn the material, so when I had to retake I was battling the poor habits that were ingrained in me.

It also created a lot of unnecessary stress about the test in general - if I could do it over I would have taken a gap year just to study!

• Maryana.K-1Maryana.K-1 Alum Member
    104 karma

I'm was in the same situation as you!

I wanted to take the LSAT in October, but I don't feel ready. I also spoke to a lot of experienced people, and they talked about the importance and abundance that comes from taking a gap year. So if it's for refining your skills on the LSAT, or simply dedicating a year to taking the exam and mentally preparing, a gap year is a great decision.

I recently learned is that it doesn't matter whether you graduate from law school at 24 or 25. What matters is the quality and the way you handled law school. So I say make a pros and cons list and see which avenue benefits you the most. And whatever you end up doing, remember that you have people in your life who support you and your success. Good luck to you!