Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Resume Question

If a job offer was indefinitely postponed due to COVID-19 last year, do you think that is worthwhile to include on a resume? I accepted a paralegal position in April 2020, they indefinitely postponed it in August 2020, and I obtained an AmeriCorps position in August 2020.

Comments

• giulia.pinesgiulia.pines Member
    466 karma

No, definitely don't put a job offer that never materialized on your resume. Resumes are about listing your experience, and while a job offer is a credential, a job offer you were not able to follow through on does not say anything about your work experience or skills.

• phosita_phoeatahphosita_phoeatah Yearly Member
    edited September 2021 238 karma

Concurred with poster above.

Think from the perspective of a resume evaluator (whether that be an admission officer or HR personnel); how would s/he think of this?

Mentioning a job offer that was tendered to you but indefinitely postponed would likely raise more questions than not (even with if the offer was rescinded/ not taken up for perfectly reasonable purposes). At best, it distracts from the rest of the resume; at worst, people may get unnecessarily suspicious about it (despite it being perfectly innocuous).

• EbethStudent16EbethStudent16 Alum Member
    82 karma

Thank you so much @giulia.pines@phosita_phoeatah! It was indefinitely postponed purely due to hiring effects of COVID, but I understand how it can raise more questions

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

@EbethStudent16 I would include an addendum as you will want to address the gap in your resume (anything longer than 3 months being the general consensus on what constitutes a gap). I would be very brief and just say that you had a pending start date that never materialized, and when you knew the position was no longer an option, you secured employment elsewhere. This will address the time off, include all that you would like to communicate, and allow you to represent yourself in the best light. Hope that helps!

• aszane21aszane21 Member
    edited September 2021 350 karma

@sarakimmel (or anyone else). Does a gap between undergrad and grad school count (e.g. graduated in May, started grad school in August)? I was working in the family business between then but don't really think I ought to waste the few lines in my resume to explain that I did inventory for a few months. I could do an addendum but again it feels unnecessary given that it wasn't that I didn't have plans.

@EbethStudent16 I'm actually going to disagree with other folks and say that you should note the paralegal job. Normally, I think the "don't include something that didn't happen" advise is fine but COVID-19 was unique. You could just list the name of the firm/position, when you'd have started and (Offer postponed indefinetely due to COVID-19 pandemic). You certainly won't be the only person to do this.

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    edited September 2021 831 karma

@aszane21 In reference to your question about accounting for time in between undergrad and grad school, I personally don't think you need to address this. The Admissions committee will clearly see on your resume and transcripts that that was your summer in between schools and I don't think that would constitute an employment gap. The three months Sara is referring to, is more like if you are out of school, and in the middle of the year had a gap in your employment from like Nov-Feb - that is a gap that would raise questions.

Also - don't assume that a job isn't important just because it's temporary and unrelated. Seeing that you kept yourself busy in the summer would show a strong work ethic to the committee and show that you aren't someone who just slacked off and took it easy for 3 months in between. Just my 2 cents.

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

@aszane21 Agreed with Andrew, I would absolutely include your summer work for your family business, it will read well to AdComms. But yes, you only need to address gaps in your post-college work history longer than 3-ish months as a general rule.