Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Evaluate Question

CashhhyyyCashhhyyy Core Member
edited September 2021 in Logical Reasoning 583 karma

Hi! I am not sure if I missed this in the LR lessons. Is there a lesson for "evaluate" questions? Seems as if they only have one question on the LR for these in modern test, but still would like some help.

If there isn't a lesson, how should I approach this type of question?

Comments

• tahurrrrrtahurrrrr Member
    1106 karma

For evaluate questions, you're looking for an answer choice such that answering one way strengthens the argument but answering the opposite way weakens the argument.

An example would be like this:

Argument: 87/100 people surveyed like cheese. Therefore most people in this country like cheese.

A good evaluate question might be something like "Were all 100 people from the same town?"

If yes, then that's not a representative sample, so the argument is weakened.

If no, then it's more likely that this was a representative sample, so the argument is strengthened.

• LivinLaVidaLSATLivinLaVidaLSAT Alum Member
    694 karma

I'll add some more info about strategy. This assumption question type is rare (one or none) on the more modern tests; nevertheless, worth learning about.

1. Read and analyze the stimulus
    Take time to analyze the argument. Try to identify the biggest gap in reasoning. The author usually makes a big leap or leaves out a crucial piece of information (must be assuming something) when reaching his conclusion.

2. Prephrase answer
    Ask yourself, "What question do I need answered to help me judge how good or bad this argument is?" This step has been key to my success with "evaluate the argument" questions; otherwise, I start thinking about the answer choices too much.

3. Review answer choices
    Look for prephrased answer. If my prephrase isn't there, I look for an answer closely related to my prephrase.

If you don't have prephrased answer, as @tahurrrrr said, you can look for

an answer choice such that answering one way strengthens the argument but answering the opposite way weakens the argument.

As with STR/WEA answer choices, some answer choices will have questions that have no effect on the conclusion (the answer to the question wouldn't STR nor WEA). Also, keep in mind you're looking for the question that most helps evaluate. Some of the wrong answers have questions that if answered, could help evaluate (but not help the most).

• ledkarlyledkarly Member
    483 karma

Also ask yourself "Does this matter to the stimulus?"

If it does --> you've got your answer.
    If it could, but it doesn't really matter, then no.

You MUST need the answer to the question for the stimulus to work.

@Cashhhyyy said:
    Hi! I am not sure if I missed this in the LR lessons. Is there a lesson for "evaluate" questions? Seems as if they only have one question on the LR for these in modern test, but still would like some help.

If there isn't a lesson, how should I approach this type of question?