Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Demanding job & LSAT studying

MindtheGAAP28MindtheGAAP28 Member
in General 72 karma

Hello -

When in undergrad, I figured I wanted a demanding job that looked good on my resume before law school. So I pursued my current job that I've been at for about a year now and it's more stressful than I anticipated. Especially for the past 5 months, I've been quite anxious and stressed about work. I know my main goal though, is to study for the LSAT and always tell myself to stop worrying about work and just focus on the LSAT. However, it's been hard lately for me to not think and stress about work. I've gotten some advice to set boundaries at work and to even not do as well of a job at work and focus on the LSAT. But I just hate the fact of doing a crappy job at work. I study before work and then if I have time after work I'll try to get some reviewing in.

I know other people have had even more stressful or demanding situations with kids, work, or something else. But I just wanted to ask if anyone has any advice for coping with work stress while studying for the LSAT? I'm fearful that the work stress will affect my LSAT studying.

Thanks!

Comments

• I am in the same position. I totally think you are doing the right thing by trying to get some time in in the mornings! I don't know about you, but I have a really hard time studying after work as I am usually really exhausted. Especially if your job is stressful, try to make your study mornings as relaxing as possible. Make your favorite coffee/tea, light a candle, do whatever will help you set a good start to your day.

More generally, know that you are enough! When I was in school, I remember having friends that were able to study 5-8 hours a day and take the test with only 3-4 months of studying. For a long time I was comparing myself to them (even with a full time job) and it made me feel really discouraged and like I wasn't doing enough/never going to reach my goals. Focus on quality over quantity. If you can only put 30 min aside, just make it the most productive/focused 30 minutes possible! You can also break your studying up into really small pieces throughout the day. I love having the 7sage app on my phone so I can do a couple of LR questions during a 10 minute break or during your commute. Every little thing counts!

Also, it's ok to take days/time off from studying. Actually, it is critical. If you are really burnt out from work your studying isn't going to be very productive. It is a long journey, so take care of yourself and you will be happier :)

You got this!

• mesposito886mesposito886 Member
    254 karma

Using your PTO days or even working out something with your employer to reduce your hours/work part-time (if you can) are two options. Something I stress is giving yourself more than enough time before you take the LSAT. Studying for less time each day but over a longer period of time will be more sustainable if you have a demanding job.

• LegallyLSATLegallyLSAT Live Member
    167 karma

As someone who works full-time and is also studying for the LSAT, I've been studying after 5pm. However, I heard the best time to study from most with a full-time job is during the morning. The reasoning is due to lack of motivation/tiredness after work.

I am going to start studying in the early morning (7am-8am), even though I value my sleep... maybe this will help me stay focused better. Becuase after 5pm, I am literally TIRED! Furthermore, I've always liked mornings (nothing before 9am) to study. I tend to study better mornings to afternoon in all honesty.
    So I'll need to just suck it up and try early mornings and go to bed a little earlier. An hour or two before work is literally 5-10 hours, M-F and then you can study way more on the weekends of course.

When it comes close to test time as @mesposito886 has stated, I def plan to reduce my hours and/or use PTO for certain days. If it means me getting into law school, I'll do it.

Also try studying on your lunch break and if your job is lenient, maybe when/if you have down time.

All the best <3

• Clementine-2Clementine-2 Member
    208 karma

I'm in this situation, but I have no intentions of studying before work. I begin work at 8am so I'd have to wake up at 5 or 6am to get any value out of my study time and historically that hasn't worked for me at all. My brain isn't awake at all that early in the morning so I end up just staring at a wall until it's time to get ready. It didn't get any easier for me after a few weeks so I just always study after work. My job is very stressful (I work for the court system) but I find that studying during lunch and/or after work and during down times is best for me and my brain. Play around with your schedule and see what happens! Make sure to have at least one day per week you don't study at all. For me, it's Friday!