Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Flex or full time law school

edited November 2021 in Law School Admissions 22 karma

I want to go to flex law school (part-time online) because I am in my 30s and already had an phd degree. But I heard law firms usually do not want hire a lawyer with a part-time law degree. They won't treat my flex JD seriously.

Comments

• phosita_phoeatahphosita_phoeatah Yearly Member
    edited November 2021 238 karma

@april8 said:
    I want to go to flex law school (part-time online) because I am in my 30s and already had an phd degree. But I heard law firms usually do not want hire a lawyer with a part-time law degree. They won't treat my flex JD seriously.

Depends on the intended practice area. In what specialty do you wish to practice?

For some specialties, a significant proportion obtained their JD as part-time students, often with the JD earned often while working in a firm and with tuition paid by the firm.

Part-time online is a whole separate matter though.

• mngldoohairtaimngldoohairtai Core Member
    103 karma

My mentor, who definitely knows what he is talking about, STRONGLY suggested that I treat law school as an investment in my future. Don't do part time, don't work during law school, just go the student loan route, bite the bullet, and get it done quicker. Law school will be more manageable this way, you'll learn more, and potentially end up with less debt in the long run.