Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to do when everything is going wrong right before test day?

Chantal_2021Chantal_2021 Member
edited January 2022 in General 31 karma

Hey everyone! As the title says, I'm hoping to get some advice on how to chill out or what to do when it seems like everything is going wrong as the January test day approaches. I bombed my most recent PT (166 when I normally get 170+), am currently sick (probably Covid, though I won't be sure until tomorrow when I can finally get tested) with no clue on how long this will last, and I just missed the February LSAT deadline.

It just feels like everything's spiraling out of control. I had been preparing for 8.5 months for the January 2022 LSAT and it was going to be my first time taking the exam, but now that I'm sick, I'm worried I'll have to delay until March, which feels absolutely soul-crushing because I don't know if I can continue studying like I had been for another 2 months.

I'm also worried I won't have enough PTs to last, because I had planned on March being my 2nd take if I didn't do well in January, so I spaced out my PTs to be mostly used up by January, but saving a few, enough to last me from February to March. If I don't end up doing my first-take in January, I'm worried I won't have enough PTs to use for my 2nd take*.

*If anyone's wondering why I'm so insistent on taking the LSAT twice, it's moreso I'm planning a safety measure in case I don't do well the first time. I don't want to use up all my PTs for the first LSAT, only to realize I didn't do well and be left with no practice material for my 2nd try.

TLDR; Bombed most recent PT resulting in confidence drop, sick with (most likely) Covid, and January test day is coming up. How to stop freaking out and make a solid plan for my next steps?

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Comments

• Burden.of.FloofBurden.of.Floof Core Member
    edited January 2022 1050 karma

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I think there is a silver lining though, working through the worst case scenarios will help you get that much stronger regarding your ability to ace the test.

I've gone through phases where I was doing really great and then I had a score drop, I think it's part of the process. When there's a confidence shift it can feel devastating and like you'll never get it back. Just know that it won't last for ever and you'll be able to work your way out of it. My advice would be to stop taking PTs to preserve the ones you have and take it back a few steps. If I were in your position I would take a few days off to clear my head and to take care of myself. Then, do a thorough review of the PTs you took to find out where you went wrong, what's causing the score drop? Try to nail down a few concrete theories... are you doing a lot of panic reading, are you second guessing yourself and overanalyzing the answer choices? Depending on how much time I had until the exam, I would probably take a PT untimed, just to take the timing out of the equation and to boost my confidence. Then I would do an old PT timed before attempting a fresh one. Whenever I have a confidence crisis my first move is to remove the timing element, taking it back a step helps to reassure myself that I'm on the right track and that my fundamentals are solid.

The worst thing you can do is panic and just start taking a bunch of PTs. Make sure to take the time to take care of yourself, especially if you're sick. That can go a long way to get yourself back on track, and it's just good for life in general! Take a couple of deep breaths, you've got this and it'll be okay.

• kmullins2525kmullins2525 Member
    82 karma

At risk of sounding a little woo-woo, I think being ill hurts cognitive performance more than people think. COVID or otherwise, when you're sick, your body is working really hard to fight off the illness. Lots of energy is being directed at keeping you physically healthy, and the LSAT is so mentally taxing that even a little drop in mental stamina can really hurt your score. If it were me, I would take a few days off (or maybe just a couple timed sections per day) and really focus on getting better before test day. Don't underestimate the power of sleep. Good luck and feel better!

• Chantal_2021Chantal_2021 Member
    31 karma

@"Burden.of.Floof" Thank you for the thorough reply, I really appreciate it! You're right, I'll try going through some of the older PT's I've done and re-review them.

I think sometimes I get anxious because, for LR at least, I'm not even sure how I get some questions wrong under timed conditions, because when I BR the right answer is so obvious. I'll try slowing down in LR.

I definitely also need to work more on RC, the reason I bombed my last PT was entirely because I did so poorly on RC. In the meantime, I'll go back to passages that gave me trouble and break down those passages (i.e. looking for structure, tone, viewpoints, etc.).

• Chantal_2021Chantal_2021 Member
    31 karma

@kmullins2525 Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate your input. I'm just nervous that taking a break right before test day would make me rusty, haha. But I also see where you're coming from and agree, it seems like my worst performances on PTs have always been on days where I didn't get enough sleep.

I'll be honest, I'll probably still study no matter what. BUT, I will also say that I'll take it easy for the next few days (i.e. stop exercising). I'll also fit in more sleep, that's definitely something I've been neglecting lately. Thanks again!