Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1-2 years to study too long?

lsatlover-1lsatlover-1 Live Member
edited April 2022 in General 42 karma

Hello everyone!
It's been about 8 months since I started studying for the LSAT, and I have just reached 160/low 160s. My diagnostic was a 148. However, I might have to study for another year because my goal score is a 172+. I study for about 4 hours a day, 5 days a week. I am drilling sections, taking practice tests, blind reviewing the ones I got wrong, have been using 7sage, and reviewing Loophole. Is it normal to study 1-2 years for the LSAT? Feeling very discouraged and incompetent right now because I am seeing people study for about 6-8 months and get 170+. Any advice will help. Thank you!

Comments

• RelentlessRelentless Core Member
    edited April 2022 338 karma

There's two ways to go about this exam:
    1. Give yourself a timeline - Take the exam and accept whatever score you get. Apply within the range of the score you get. Take your life from there.
    2. Give yourself a goal score - Take as long as it needs to reach there in the practice tests. Once you hit that score, take the exam. Yet, allow yourself the wisdom to know this is an online exam, things may not go as planned or life will happen.

From the sound of it, it seems like you would want to choose Option 2. If so, keep at it and don't beat yourself up. You're so much more stronger than this beast is. You'll beat it when the time comes. All the best pal!

• I am crawling through 7 Sage at a glacial pace. Nevertheless I watched You Tube videos by Nadia Clancia and Banter with Babs and hope to include, at a future time, Loophole by Ellen Cassidy, some Khan Academy, Kaplan's Unlocked, plus Power Score RC. I had previously been on track 1, set a timeline and work your score into that, and that narrative me proved to be false. I am on track 2, go for a high score no matter the duration. Plus, a new wrinkle introduced by Ellen Cassidy: review daily.

• sgriffgorsgriffgor Member
    98 karma

I agree with @Excellence. You don't need a 170+ to be a great and successful lawyer, but you may want that particular score range for good reason. I think you may benefit from weighing the pros and cons of another year of studying versus picking a date to take the LSAT and applying to law school. From your study regimen, it sounds like you have the skills necessary to be a great law student (and lawyer). Maybe starting your law career is the next best step. Remember too that you can transfer.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8460 karma

IMO 1-2 years is well within the normal range for a 170+. Don't worry about what everyone else is doing... what you see online/hear about is not going to be representative of "normal." Focus on your own goals and your own progress.