PT3.S4.Q19 - because a large disparity in pay between public and private...

hyelimparkhyelimpark Core Member
edited August 2022 in Logical Reasoning 42 karma

Can someone help with this?
I thought the missing link between the premise and the conclusion (the conclusion being that functioning of public agencies will improve) is that the stimulus assumes that functioning of public agenices will be improved if these capable experienced admin people returned. So I thought B was correct. Can someone please explain why D is correct?

Comments

• nathanielyoonnathanielyoon Member
    11 karma

d fits because proving one direction of a relationship (not enough pay = switch jobs) doesn't mean the other direction is necessarily true (enough pay = un-switch jobs), like proving p -> q doesn't prove !p -> !q, maybe the capable administrators made a bunch of new friends at their private sector jobs and don't want to change back, the passage just says raising salaries -> recapture administrators -> functioning improves without any new explanation, and it's necessary for the argument, so d is correct
    for b, "presupposes" feels more like a "the argument needs this but doesn't establish it" sorta thing, so the last sentence explicitly saying recapturing administrators = improves functioning doesn't fit and it's kinda supported by other bits in the passage
    also the conclusion is only that it improves functioning, so b goes too far, lots of stuff could improve functioning or be bigger factors and the argument could still be true

• hyelimparkhyelimpark Core Member
    42 karma

thanks so much-I understand now!!