Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

At a brain stop in LR

I originally started out LR by just drilling here and there and not paying too much attention to it until recently. I have been reading books, watching the videos about logic, and drilling a lot but I seem to be getting nowhere. It almost feels as if I understood it more knowing less about it. All of the different question types and how to solve them are getting jumbled when I take timed sections now. It also seems as if I need an entirely different approach for every single different question type. I am in need of ANY help or pointers to guide me in the way of properly studying for LR. (For reference, my PT is usually -12 and BR is -8ish, but now that I am only doing LR, performance has dropped a bit). Thanks in advance

Comments

• ClaudioD21ClaudioD21 Member
    414 karma

Hey! I found that what helped for me was to just find one resource and stick to it. If you’re using the LSAT Trainer, 7Sage, Powerscore, The Loophole in LR, etc etc you’re bound to feel lost. All of these LSAT study programs have different approaches to getting the same answers but if you start mixing things up you’ll end up more lost than you originally were. Take a step back and take it back to basics. I found that the loophole in LR complimented the 7sage curriculum very well. If you’re getting -12 and still -8 on BR you must be lacking some fundamentals. I would recommend picking a single LR section and doing it untimed. See what questions take you the longest and which questions you still get wrong without time being a factor. Identify those and then go back and watch videos or read on how to approach those questions. Every question type requires a different approach and a different strategy. Unfortunately, there is no one universal strategy that can be used to attack every single question. Also, take breaks! Burnout is real. If you recently started drilling purely LR and noticed a drop in performance either work on other sections or take time off LSAT completely. Let your brain breathe so everything you’re studying and practicing has time to process and stick. Hope that helps.

• loganmaddoxmayloganmaddoxmay Core Member
    41 karma

So would you recommend against pairing the 7sage curriculum with the Bibles?

• claremontclaremont Core Member
    590 karma

Knowing what the question wants can distract you from the argument. Try reading the stimulus first. Identify its conclusion, support, and what if anything is wrong with the argument. Then read the question stem and prephrase an AC before reading the ACs.

• ClaudioD21ClaudioD21 Member
    414 karma

@loganmaddoxmay said:
    So would you recommend against pairing the 7sage curriculum with the Bibles?

I wouldn’t recommend against it, per say, I think the bibles can be a great assets. However, they should at most be supplemental in your studying and you should only stick to one or two resources to approach questions. If PowerScore is your choice for how to primarily approach questions then just be careful mixing in different approaches from other resources. Mixing too many resources can lead to a lot of confusion in my experience because it happened for me.