Autism Diagnosis

kmarxtheleftkmarxtheleft Alum Member
edited November 2022 in Law School Admissions 114 karma

Perhaps this question has already been asked; however, I just wanted to see what people have to say about it. I am autistic; I was diagnosed shortly after my graduation. I have been interested in the career of Haley Moss, an autistic attorney from Florida. Anyway, I'm just wondering if my autism diagnosis has the potential to give me a boost in law admissions, especially to the t-14?

I would also like to point out that I am a non-traditional white male applicant, who graduated in 2014. I'm essentially wondering if I can use this in a diversity statement or not. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Im also autistic and no it doesn't give you a boost in applications in general. They mostly look for talents, academic numbers to meet their median goals such as gpa and lsat score, and if you are an URM such as african american, native american, low socioeconomic background, hispanic, or lgbt.

Law schools don't discriminate against disabilities, so don't be shy putting it on your application but don't make it a huge deal and your entire personality. Law schools don't want to see that. They want to see strengths and if you can pass the bar. Focus more on those talents rather than focusing on your diagnosis unless it made a big impact on why you want to pursue law on your personal statement.

Another thing I would like to add if that since I have autistic myself I know the time constraints are a bit difficult since we can fidget or tick when we are nervous, or get distracted easily and focus too much on one word or phrase, so I would recommend asking for extra time and get your doctor involved and send a recommendation for more time so its more fair for you.

• kmarxtheleftkmarxtheleft Alum Member
    114 karma

Thanks for the advice. I have often thought that I would benefit greatly from extended time. I most definitely struggle with the issues that you mentioned.