PT7.S1.Q9 - The commercial news media emphasize exceptional...

amballinamballin Member
edited December 2022 in Logical Reasoning 9 karma

Help

Can anyone explain to me how A is correct? I don't see the idea of a "comprehensive approach" being discussed in the passage. From my understanding, the passage is letting us know that the current approach - the piecemeal approach - is not working. How are you able to infer from this that a comprehensive approach could be successful?

Thank You!

Comments

• lmossy444lmossy444 Core Member
    3 karma

will you put the question stem & stimulus here to help answer?

• aiman.shahabaiman.shahab Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited January 2023 72 karma

Hey!

Just a heads up, the correct answer for the question you're referring to is D, not A! You're correct in finding an error in A, in that we simply can't draw support from our stimulus to say that print is better than broadcast media. In fact, the stimulus doesn't even mention broadcast media.

What we can pull from the premises is that commercial news media can distort public opinion of risk. That's what answer choice D is saying! Quick tip: I like to think of MSS questions as though I'm drawing a conclusion from the premises. I'm looking for an answer choice that's provable and easily supported by the stimulus.

If you're interested in 1-1 tutoring with our in-house program, you can schedule a free 30-minute consult with one of our tutors here: https://calendly.com/7sage-tutoring/7sage-tutoring-free-consultation?utm_source=FCA_A

• amballinamballin Member
    9 karma

Hi, Thank you for this helpful explanation. I just realized that I made a mistake and posted the question for question 9 when I meant to refer to question 8.

• aiman.shahabaiman.shahab Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    72 karma

Sorry for the delay @amball123-1-1-1! Answer choice A isn't a great answer choice, but it's the most provable of all the answer choices. While we don't discuss a comprehensive approach in the stimulus, we do discuss that a non-comprehensive approach isn't effective.

If a system can work, it won't work through separate groups, rather cohesively or comprehensively. Else, no other system can work. So, the only system that COULD work, is a comprehensive approach.

Compared to the other answer choices, which are far reaches or unrelated to the stimulus, this is the only one related and somewhat supported by the stimulus.

This is a poorly written question, but it's actually similar to some of the more subtly worded answer choices we see in PTs 80's and onwards in LR. Remember, the correct answer choice has to answer the question the best compared to the rest. In MSS questions, we can a provable answer choice.

Hope that helps!