LSAT Writing- Disabled Copy-Paste Function/Completely Left Out My Conclusion

YoonahKimYoonahKim Member
edited January 2023 in General 11 karma

Hi! I hope everyone is doing well. For my first attempt at LSAT Writing, I didn't leave any time at the end to write the conclusion (I tried to copy-paste something I had already written multiple times, but it never worked). I did write my main point as the introduction of my essay, but I know it's important for essays to end with a one-sentence conclusion at the very least. I'm planning to take the LSAT again and am considering redoing the writing sample as well because of my nonexistent conclusion. :(

Did anyone else have an issue with the copy-paste function? Also, do you think it's worth it to redo the writing sample? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• kanel1995kanel1995 Member
    226 karma

If you're already set on retaking the LSAT, you might as well do the writing again, right?

But generally speaking, I'm not sure how seriously schools examine writing samples (probably not very critically). It's a response to an unfamiliar prompt under extremely timed condition, so I'd imagine they extend applicants some grace there.

• YoonahKimYoonahKim Member
    edited January 2023 11 karma

Thanks for your comment @kanel1995! That's really helpful because I definitely want to focus all of my energy towards improving on the multiple choice exam.

• JustAParalegalJustAParalegal Live Member
    59 karma

Hi there,

For your first question about the copy-paste function, I think that this feature is entirely disabled by the testing software. If I remember correctly, this and some other keyboard shortcuts are not allowed. Fun fact, my tutor said that the ctrl + F function IS allowed though. (huge W for reading comp, IMO).

I don't know how the writing sample works, (aren't you required to do the writing sample each time?) but if you feel strongly that your writing content for the one you already took was good, I wouldn't stress about the conclusion. But if you are considering not doing the writing again just because you (apparently, lol) don't need to, why not take a second crack at it.

• YoonahKimYoonahKim Member
    11 karma

Hey @JustAParalegal! Thanks for your comment; I definitely shouldn't have gone into the exam assuming that all of the basic shortcuts would work. But omg the ctrl + F function?? I had no idea that we could use that during Reading Comp.! That's a huge plus, thanks for that.

In regards to the writing sample, I believe that we only have to complete it once. On LSAC's site, it says that "candidates are only required to have one writing sample on file for their LSAT to be considered complete. Writing samples may be from either a previous LSAT administration or from an administration of LSAT Writing."

I think it's totally up to us to decide whether or not writing up another sample is worth the time. :smile: