Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a lesson on conditional subsets?

Hi there, I'm reviewed an old LR questions (PT24 S3 Q10) and this particular problem introduced subsets into the mapping. I have come across these problems in the past and never apply the subset. Anyone know if there is a core curriculum lesson or article/post on this matter that's reliable?

My issue for this particular question, is that I wrote S ->/MB while JY wrote it as /MBs. I have looked at other LSAT resource forums and they solve it in the same manner as I do.

Comments

• ryan.lattavoryan.lattavo Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    109 karma

PirateParty,

Like others in the comment section of that lesson indicate, you can complete this question the way you've done it here--utilizing Lawgic. I think JY uses the subscript here because its much simpler than drawing the conditional arrows, but in essence it is exactly the same.

As a general principle, whatever is true of a property is generally true of whatever thing contains that property. For example, 'wet' as a property generally means, well, wet, and things that are wet (having that property) are wet.

Here, we know that material bodies are imperfect. So whatever is a material body must also be imperfect. Therefore, you can more simply represent "Spirit" by MBs because it falls into the things that are NOT material bodies; and we know that whatever is a material body is imperfect, so whatever is perfect CANNOT be a material body.

Basically though, he used the subscript to save himself the trouble of reiterating the conditional over again, replacing MB with MB. For all intents and purposes related to the LSAT, Set Logic can be represented using Conditional Logic.

Hope this helped,

Ryan