Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Panicking about maintaining high PT scores

georgianablythe16georgianablythe16 Alum Member
in General 143 karma

Last week I scored a 179 on a PT in the 70's. The score completely blindsided me as my previous highest score was a 170 and I'd been scoring in the high 160's for the past three PTs. I am of course very excited about this score but I am panicking about maintaining it. I haven't taken another preptest since but I've been drilling logical reasoning in the 80's (old practice tests I took over a year ago) this week and my LR score is dropping significantly. I typically score -2 to -0 but in these early 80's PT's I'm scoring -4 to -6. I am panicking about my next PT score dipping back into the 160's. I need a 170-high to offset my low GPA and even though I know I should feel confident about scoring a 179 on a practice test it's honestly made my anxiety worse.

Can anyone give some advice on how to handle score drops in the 80's? I am taking the August test and feel like time is running out to prepare effectively. Also, any advice you can give on managing stress? This is the most stressed I've ever felt in this process and I've been studying for a long, long time.

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

This happened to me first time I scored a 180 on a PT. The 180 was exciting. It was proof of concept that my studies were proceeding effectively and that I was on the right track. But I had the same heightened anxiety for the next PT. Here's what I figured out to do: On my next PT, I kept doing all the things that I'd been doing that were bringing me greater success. I executed as strategically well under time as I could, BR'd, analyzed, and learned from my errors. What's the score matter? How does the score change anything about how to study most effectively? It doesn't. I scored a 169 on my next PT and learned as much as I could from my mistakes.

Don't study to prove how good you are. That's a highly destructive study objective. Study to get better. On your next PT, execute your testing strategy as effectively as you can, BR, study your errors, and get better at the LSAT. That's all there is to do.

• georgianablythe16georgianablythe16 Alum Member
    143 karma

Thank you for your comment! It helped put things in perspective. I just finished a new practice test and scored a 168. While I'm disappointed in the drop, I'm hopeful to keep moving forward and honing my skills.

As someone who went through a similar experience, can I ask when you decided to take your official test? I am scheduled for August but worried I don't have enough time. Did you wait until you were comfortably scoring in your goal range (mine would be above 175) before taking it?