Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Realistic Law School Admissions Chances

GPlafleurrouxGPlafleurroux Free Trial Member

I recently turned 42, and law school has always been my dream since I was eight when an Uncle experienced police brutality in 1980s Southeast Texas. I always have done well in grade and high school – school has always been enjoyable. Left Texas for California at 21, primarily for a relationship that lasted 21 years. Although my relationship with my Husband lasted 21 years, it was not easy. As a gay man, he suffers tremendously from mental illness, severe depression, and alcoholism. In supporting my Husband, doing well at the community college was a struggle. I have taken classes on and off for the entire 21 years, intending to earn a bachelor’s degree – it never happened.

Fast forward to now, I’m the principal of a small tax practice, and I enjoy helping my clients solve their tax problems with federal and state tax authorities. One of my clients, a retired police investigator from Alameda County, encouraged me to return to school and finish what I started 21 years ago – especially since the recent dissolution of my relationship. Reflecting on our conversation, I decided to return to school to finish up and revisit my long-term goal of eventually enrolling in law school. But two things worry me about the realistic chances of being admitted to law school – my GPA and the school I’m transferring to.

I used the calculator provided by 7Sage to determine my GPA this far, going back 21 years, and it is calculated showing a 1.4. The undergrad school I’m transferring to does not calculate a GPA. It has a Pass/ Fail grading system. So this extracts any opportunity to get my GPA up. If I score well enough on the LSAT in the near future, what are my chances for admission to a law school? I’m considering moving back home to Texas or Louisiana, and the law schools I’d be interested in are Southern University Law Center (Part-time), South Texas College of Law at Houston (Hybrid), and Mitchell Hamline (Hybrid). What say you? Any advice?

Comments

• Beau ChampBeau Champ Live Member
    13 karma

I am 42 also. While your GPA is low, you can write an addendum explaining your circumstances. From my understanding, they don't take account grade inflation but your work history would be a big factor in your favor. Also your age would make an incoming class more diverse. To get accepted you would likely need a high LSAT score to offset the GPA. Hopefully you can point to improvements in grades over time. I too have a low undergrad GPA but I also have a high GPA from grad school which unfortunately the LSAC gpa's calculator doesn't use. I will need to write an addendum showing improvements and a high lsat score. I am not familiar with the schools you listed but apply to a range of schools and don't be afraid to get input from the admissions dept. of the schools you want to go to.

• GPlafleurrouxGPlafleurroux Free Trial Member
    8 karma

Thank you for your insightful and thoughtful reply. Over time, I'm beginning to realize that many non-traditional students such as yourself and I have experienced life and are approaching the feasibility of attending law school. Although the university I'm looking to transfer to would fit into my schedule better, I believe I should think about some of the CSUs that offer online bachelor completion programs – it would allow me to increase my GPA – as they have grading systems that would calculate a letter grade vs. Pass/ Fail. And, as you mention, showing a pattern of grade improvements could underline that my past GPA does not reflect my current and actual academic capabilities. Further, I like your suggestion of reaching out to the law schools I'd like to apply to.

• LG_KILLAHLG_KILLAH Live Member
    34 karma

I'm 50 years old. Im graduating after 30 years from Cal State. I'm here to tell you that you can do it.I'm studying for the September LSAT and I got my GPA up to over 3.4...SO I LOOK forward to getting into a California law school for the next cycle..!!! good luck

• GPlafleurrouxGPlafleurroux Free Trial Member
    8 karma

@LG_KILLAH

I'm so encouraged by reading your comment. Which CSU did you attend and graduate from? Do you mind if I ask what you majored in? CSU, East Bay is on my radar. They do have an online degree completion program in accounting. Are there any particular law schools you're interested in? I've noticed that we don't have many options for ABA law schools that offer P/T programs in California - McGeorge Law in Sacramento is the only one I can think of, right off top.