Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General Question about Denying Premise Link

eeljasonnneeljasonnn Live Member
edited July 2023 in Logical Reasoning 78 karma

Hi, I had a quick question about denying the link between premise and conclusion.

In this video: https://7sage.com/lesson/egyptian-and-mayan-pyramids-flaw-question/

JY talks about how denying the argument by denying the link between the premise and conclusion is not the same as denying the conclusion. In the particular question, the author denies the link between premise and conclusion but is not allowed to deny the conclusion.

When are you ever allowed to deny the conclusion? Or are you not allowed to usually?

Thanks.

Comments

• MTreigysMTreigys Core Member
    108 karma

Typically in LR what you want to do is show that the premises given in support of a conclusion are not entirely sufficient in proving that conclusion, though it doesn't necessarily have to make the possibility of the conclusion being right gone. Take this for example:

My mom says that the earth rotates around the sun, therefore we can conclude that the earth does indeed rotate around the sun.

This argument is obviously bad for a number of reasons and doesn't prove what it intends to prove, but that doesn't mean the conclusion is false, just that the premises don't prove it. Assuming the falsity of a conclusion merely because a bad argument for it has been given is a flaw in itself that we see in LR questions. I would typically never look for ACs or think in ways that just deny a conclusion outright.

• eeljasonnneeljasonnn Live Member
    78 karma

Ok thank you!