PTF97.S3.Q.18 - Citizen: Each year since 1970...

caya.berndtcaya.berndt Core Member
edited July 2023 in Logical Reasoning 11 karma

I am having the hardest time understanding how E is the answer to this one. It was an answer I dismissed outright because I didn't see what the healthcare had to do with the murder rate. Perhaps the question was phrased weird, but I can't figure how to work it in my brain. Any advice?

Admin Note: Edited title. Please use the format: "PT#.S#.Q# - brief description of the question."

Comments

• MTreigysMTreigys Core Member
    108 karma

This is definitely a tricky question upon my first look. AC E seems to latch onto an assumption in the official's argument while also making use of the term "murder" in an exact sense. The official is essentially saying that despite the number going up, the percentage per 100 murder victims has actually gone down.

But AC E is basically coming in and saying "Sure this is true, but if the medical care received now was actually the same quality as it was in 1970 (presumably worse), the murder rates per 100 would actually be way higher". Essentially, improved medical care might be the reason for the decrease in murders, since more people now survive murder attempts, so the number of murders, if all things were equal (which they again aren't, because of the medical care), could actually be way higher now than is currently shown. Therefore the city official's response and evidence would be greatly weakened.