Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

raw versus BR score

shaydamilanishaydamilani Member
in General 15 karma
I am currently studying for the October LSAT. I have taken about 7 full, timed practice tests. My highest score has been a 157. After taking each PT, I have reviewed my incorrect answer choices by watching the 7Sage videos (I didn't follow the BR method). I just recently took the PT 45 and received a 156 (I took it in a noisy environment and was distracted several times). I did the worse on the RC section, which I usually score the highest in but then scored the best in the LG section with only missing 1, so there is a bit of a discrepancy in my score for this specific PT. I decided to do the BR method for the first time and I received a 170 instead. I found the method very helpful and easily realized stupid mistakes I was making during the exam from just not reading carefully. I know that timing is an issue for me, because I understand all of the concepts, but just have issues concentrating during the exam and reading carefully. I was wondering what I should do to help solve the discrepancy in my two scores and bring my actual score up to what my BR score. What can I do to focus more during the exam and not make silly mistakes? I really want a 170 or higher on my LSAT, which is going to be a big leap.

Comments

• GordonBombayGordonBombay Alum Member
    456 karma
    It's hard to give you a super specific answer on how to help you focus more during exams, because everyone is so different. I can tell you what has helped me though. Before I take a prep test I always take about 10 minutes to just relax and close my eyes while doing some deep breathing exercises followed by another 10 minutes of stretching and more deep breathing. I know it doesn't sound like much but I've found this really helps calm my anxiousness and clears my mind before I PT.

Other than that just keep taking timed practice exams and really BR them to death. You've only taken 7 thus far so there's still plenty more for you to go through. Just keep charging through those PT's and I'm sure you will start to eliminate more of those stupid mistakes that are easy to make under timed conditions.
  • GordonBombayGordonBombay Alum Member
    edited July 2015 456 karma
    Oh and also what makes a really big difference for me and my concentration/stamina during prep tests is my food intake before hand. I generally experience significantly less mental fatigue if I've eaten a really big breakfast before a pt. Noticed this around my 5th timed PT and made sure to eat one ever since if I'm taking a pt that day. Lets say I start a PT around noon. That means I'll typically be eating breakfast by 10am. I eat the same breakfast everyday before a prep test. I cook up a 3 egg omelet, a bagel, a cup of oatmeal, and a bowl of strawberries + blueberries, top it off with a hearty cup of green tea. Hope some of this helps you out.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    @shaydamilani said:
    I found the method very helpful and easily realized stupid mistakes I was making during the exam from just not reading carefully. I know that timing is an issue for me, because I understand all of the concepts, but just have issues concentrating during the exam and reading carefully.
    I want to caution you about attributing your errors too much to reading errors and stupid mistakes. By doing so, you risk not truly learning how to correct your errors because everything becomes chalked up to "aww stupid mistake; I'll get them next time." Remember, the test is absolutely designed in a way that induces these types of errors and so when you make a stupid mistake or a reading error you are actually falling into a very specific trap. If you learn how these trap questions and answer choices are designed, then you stand a better chance at avoiding them in the future--but it takes a very conscious effort to do so, much more than just acknowledging that you made a reading error. Why did you make these errors? Did you fail to notice a subtle term shift? Did you skip over the word "not"? Did you get distracted by unnecessary details in the stimulus? Or did you inappropriately combine two terms together that could feasibly go together in your mind, but are logically unrelated?

It takes a proper diagnosis of your errors to truly improve, and if you are currently scoring a 156/7, then your errors are not simply misreads. The good news is that the LSAT has 80ish tests released so you have plenty of material to work with. Make sure you BR every time; taking a PT without doing so is a wasted learning opportunity.

At the end of the day, you need a lot more timed practice and blind review. A 14 point increase does not come without these two crucial steps (yes, there are exceptions; however, expecting to be an exception is not the best mindset for success).
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    While distractions can be a problem, I think your bigger issue is in your fundamentals because your best and worst sections should stay fairly consistent from test to test barring extreme easiness or difficulty between sections. Since you haven't been doing BR you have not been getting out of each test what you really need. Before you go back to the drawing board I would take 3-5 more PTs with a very methodical and in depth BR, then dig deep into the analytics isolated for just those tests to see where your weaknesses truly are.